Chapter 3

Three days later, I exited the castle's main gate, entering the area of Azuchi where the vassals were quartered.

(...And it's just a left at this corner.)

After a busy day, I had one last errand: a package to deliver. It was something for Hideyoshi, and I offered to take it to him myself. Thanks to our outings, I had a much better sense of how the castle town was laid out. Nothing like being able to find your own way through a new town!

That freeing capability wasn't the only reason I was in a good mood. I haven't seen Hideyoshi since he gave me the kimono. I was looking forward to seeing him again. And I found myself hurrying. I greeted Hideyoshi's maids, and they led me to his room.

Mai: "Hideyoshi, it's me, Mai." I clutched the package closer, thinking I could hear voices within.

Masamune: "Welcome, Mai. Make yourself at home."

(At whose home? Because you're not Hideyoshi.)

From the lordly way Masamune spoke, I wondered if it was he or I who was confused about whose residence this was. Over Masamune's tall shoulder, I saw Hideyoshi come forward with an exasperated sigh.

Hideyoshi: "Masamune, just because you treat this like your place doesn't mean it is."

Mitsunari: "Welcome, Mai. Lord Hideyoshi and I are happy to see you."

Ieyasu: "...I'm here too. Although I'm not happy to see anyone."

Mai: "Wow, I had no idea you'd all be here."

leyasu and Mitsunari were seated opposite each other at Hideyoshi's desk, writing implements beside them.

Hideyoshi: "Oh, my package. Thanks. Have a seat and catch your breath."

Mai: "Thank you." I found an empty spot near the desk. Hideyoshi and Masamune sat back down, on either side of me. As they returned to work, I took the opportunity to get a better look around Hideyoshi's room.

(It's tidy, but the flowers and curios make it warm and inviting. He'd make a good decorator.)

There was a hanging in the alcove, bearing the characters for altruism

Hideyoshi: "Is my room that interesting?"

Mai: "It is. It's comfy. Is that why everyone gathers here?"

Hideyoshi: "This is the only way I can make sure everyone's actually working. We're preparing for the war." Mitsunari was writing down calculations. I realized the numbers he was discussing with leyasu referred to troops.

(Gone are the days when I'd walk in on my friends crowing over the latest game release. This is the warring states period. And we're about to go to war.)

Hideyoshi: "Is something wrong?"

I shook my head. I couldn't explain my modern-day life to them even if I tried. (Shake it off, Mai. Besides, we're all here to work.)

On that note, I handed Hideyoshi his package.

Hideyoshi: "Thanks." Hideyoshi opened the bamboo container within, pulling out a large scroll.

Masamune: "What's that you have there?"

Hideyoshi: "It's a record of the Battle at Tedorigawa, the last time Lord Nobunaga fought with the Uesugi clan. Kenshin is dead, but the Uesugi still control Echigo. I thought leyasu and Mitsunari would find these records useful."

Mitsunari: "I'm grateful, Lord Hideyoshi. I'll gladly take a look at them."

Hideyoshi: "That's why I got them for you."