Darry and trucks

((@aem9876 so I lied 😅😅. I started writing and my depression said. 'You know what? We're gonna keep writing this chapter. No stops. No breaks.'
*4 hours and 5,000 words later* 💀💀💀).

He was only sixteen, still just a kid who only cared about girls, football, and getting a scholarship for college. "Dad, can I borrow the truck tonight?" Darry asked the man sitting in the living room recliner, reading a newspaper.

"Why do you need the truck?"

"There's a party tonight that the football team is throwing and -"

"You're not going to any parties, especially on a school night."

"But dad, everyone is gonna be there!"

"I said no Darryl," the eldest Curtis son huffed, kicking at the sofa in protest. "Loose the attitude son, you're sixteen not six."

"Yes Sir," Darry didn't feel like getting into an argument with his father. So he took himself and his bad attitude outside to throw his football around and cool off.

Ponyboy, who was only nine, came outside after a little while to find his big brother. "Darry!"

"Yeah Pone?" He smiled seeing his little brother. He was so cute, he'd do anything for that kid.

"You got a phone call." He pointed inside the house as if Darry needed to be told where exactly the phone call was coming from.

"Catch." He threw the football at Pony, who caught it after a bit of fumbling. "Good catch. You should try out for QB1 at the high school."

"I'm only in fifth grade Darry!" Ponyboy had recently skipped a grade, making him the youngest and smallest in his grade. Darry worried about him for next year when he started middle school, he'd be younger than everyone at that school, not just within in his grade. Luckily Sodapop would be in eighth grade and could watch out for him, but that only went so far.

"Then we will just have to practice, that way when you get to high school you won't even need to try out. Coach will take one look at you and give you the position on the spot." He jogged over to the young kid and took his football back, "you know whose on the phone?"

"Some guy named Paul. He wanted me to get you."

They both went inside the house now, Darry went to the kitchen where the phone was hanging and swinging slightly in the air. Pony must've just let the receiver and cord hang while he went to get Darry. "Thanks Ponyboy," he picked up the phone and put it to his ear. "Paul, what's up?"

"Hey Dar! You still coming to my party tonight, right?"

"I don't know man. My old man won't let me have the truck for the night, and he said I can't go to any parties on a school night."

"Just sneak out. I do it all the time."

Darry lowered his voice a little to make sure he couldn't be heard in the living room, "your folks also don't care if you come home in the middle of the night drunk off your ass."

"You're only a kid once my friend. Lighten up."

He thought about it for a little while, "my folks do go to bed kinda early tonight. Dad's gotta get up early for work."

"See? It's like the universe is telling you to do it. She's calling to you, 'take the truck Darry. Go to Paul's. Have a good time.' "

"You are an idiot."

"And this idiot just happens to be your friend, who is throwing the best party of the school year."

"Fine. But I'll still be late getting there. Since I gotta wait for my mom and dad to be asleep."