005

"What is a human doing in my nest?"

The words were followed by the door being thrown open, hitting the wall with a bang that sounded particularly loud to Knox's sensitive ears. It made his head throb harder, and he was this close to throwing a tantrum. He wanted to nap, but he just kept getting interrupted. For creatures of the night, vampires were awfully loud and it was beginning to annoy him. As much as he wanted to ignore the new presence in the room, he forced his eyes to open once more, if only because his survival instincts demanded it of him.

Valentine looked downright murderous.

His eyes were already startling in a normal setting, but right now they seemed ablaze with anger, so bright they were nearly glowing in the otherwise poorly lit room, fangs dropped and lips curled into a snarl. He waved his hand and the door shut seemingly on its own, and Knox knew he was downright fucked.

He looked every bit the predator he was supposed to be, stalking forward with an inhuman grace that left him frozen in his spot. Even if he were thinking clearly enough to maybe sit up, move away, do something, he wasn't sure he would've been able to. He was the prey in this situation, a vampire's natural prey. Fight, flight, or freeze, apparently his body would choose the most cowardly option every time.

Valentine took another step forward, and Knox wasn't sure how his heart hadn't given out yet.

Then, he faltered, confusion marring the murderous intent.

"Knox?"

It was like a cord snapped and he was able to move again. Knox scrambled to sit up, resolutely ignoring how nauseous he felt at moving so suddenly, because maybe Valentine wouldn't eat him if he recognized him as the slightly pathetic human he'd been pity feeding the past couple weeks. "H-hi." He squeaked said out loud.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, now more confused than angry, fangs receding so that he could frown properly at him, "Are you wearing my sweater?"

"Oh," He looked down at the soft material, "You can have it back. Are these your pants too? Here." He began to take the sweater off, but Valentine stopped him, suddenly in front of him as his cold hands gently but firmly gripped his wrists before he could pull it over his head. He tugged the sweater back down so that it effectively covered his stomach again.

"No, no that's okay. Why don't you just tell me how you got in my nest?"

"Oh, you know. I was just taking a walk... and stumbled in?" He mumbled, which sounded dumb to his own ears.

Valentine pursed his lips, leaning forward more. The vampire was practically crowded into his space, which made him shrink back against the pillows, "Are you trying to suggest that you got past my wards, Knox? I'm aware we don't know each other well, but I don't like liars, especially bad ones. So, let's try again, hm?"

"It was raining today and I don't have an umbrella so I was super soggy during my classes and when I was on my way home from class uhm- someone grabbed me? Well, not someone, it was August, but he was sorta rough and I hit my head kinda hard and passed out? And then I woke up here and I thought Callum was going to eat me but then August showed up and I was supposed to work tonight but they said I can't and rent is due next week and I really can't afford to call out. And I'm so tired and I want to sleep but you're being scary," He didn't even realize he was crying until he was sniffling, so he brought his hands up to wipe his tears away. "'m sorry, I don't know why I'm crying."

"Oh, no, sweetie it's okay." Gone was the terrifying vampire who'd been threatening him, replaced with a version of Valentine that Knox was much more familiar with. His expression softened, shushing him gently as he stepped back, giving him some room. "I was being mean, wasn't I? I'm sorry for scaring you, I promise that you're safe."