Three: Unexpected Savior

Aspen's POV

I was minding my own business when I heard a scream. It was America's lady-in-waiting Lucy. General Maxon was tackling her. I stood there frozen, thinking if I should intervene or not. Then I saw Princess America run away when General Maxon was busy tackling Lucy. I silently followed America, just out of her sight. Then I saw General Maxon run after America.

I watched behind a tall plant when America suddenly jumped out of the window! General Maxon seemed fazed but he seemed annoyed instead of worried as he went back to the party.

As soon as he was gone, I looked out the window and spotted America on the ground, just outside the border of the castle and forest. I hurriedly ran to the outside of the castle and searched hard for America.
When I found her she was laying on the ground with a pool of blood near her head. I gasped and immediately checked her for a pulse. Luckily, she was still alive after she jumped at least a hundred feet from the ground!

I picked her up bridal style and took her into my home, I take it that she was trying to escape so that's why I kept it low-profile, not letting anyone see me go inside my house with the princess in my arms as it may arise suspicion and may lead to a heap of trouble for her and I.

As soon as we were alone, I shut the door and drew in the curtains so no one would see us. I laid her down on my bed and tended to her wounds. Wrapping gauze around her head and rubbing a soaked warm cloth on the wounds she got from the fall.

It was already twelve midnight so I decided to just sleep on my sofa. Before that, I wrapped Princess America with a blanket. Then I settled for the night with worried thoughts, will they be searching for the princess tomorrow? I waved those thoughts away and dazed away into deep sleep.

***

America's POV

I woke up. I surveyed the room and see I was in an unfamiliar room. My head ached. I touched my head and felt that there was gauze. I tried to stand up but my whole body hurt. Must be because of the fall, if I remember correctly. But how did I end up here in the first place?

The door in front of opened and I gasped.

"Oh, your Majesty, you're awake! Let me get you breakfast, you must be starving," a man in a white polo and denim pants greeted me with a surprised expression.

"W-Wait, may I know your name?" I fixed my position up and scratched my head.

"Ah, yes. How rude of me. I am Aspen, Aspen Leger. I am the royal taylor, Your Majesty" he bowed at me.

"No, no... please call me America." I smiled a bit then my stomach grumbled. I blushed.

"Yes, America. Okay I'll be back, I'll get your breakfast."
he smiled then left.

After fifteen minutes he came back with a tray with bacon and eggs, and orange juice. As soon as he put the tray on my lap, I ate quickly.

"Woah, didn't guess you'd be that hungry. That fall must have hurt, huh?" he sat at the foot of the bed.

I swallowed as fast as I can. "Yes, I jumped out the window to get away from... him." I ducked my head, and a chill went through my spine as I remembered what happened last night.

"From the General, I see. Do you hate him?" he tilted his head.

"Not exactly, I just... I just don't like him or even know him, I just don't want to marry him as all..." I looked away, feeling angry with my parents. The ones who decided to make me marry General Maxon.

"Oh, I didn't mean to upset you, America..." he frowned.

"No-... It's just, complicated." I smiled to reassure him. "Thank you, Aspen. For saving me, if no one looked for me last night, they just might find me as a corpse the next day," I shivered at the thought.

"You're welcome. I think you need a change of clothes, your ball gown isn't exactly going to blend in the crowd if you're going to hide here," he stood up and looked through his closet in the corner of the room.

He handed me a white shirt and denim jeans. "I'm sorry, these are the only clothes that could fit you at the moment," Aspen smiled.

I melted a bit at his warm smile.

"You're too kind." I took the clothes.

"Anything for the Princess, of course. Now, I'll let you finish your breakfast. The shower is just down the hallway. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call for me," he then left me alone.

I ate my breakfast as fast as I can and I took a shower and dressed up with the clothes that Aspen gave me. It felt weird wearing such casual clothing because almost everyday I wore dresses and gowns in the castle. Wearing something like this felt liberating. It felt like I was free. I felt like me, for the first time in my life.

I went to the living room and saw Aspen asleep on the sofa. He must have slept late last night and woke up early to make breakfast. I quietly wrapped him up with a blanket. I looked out the window and saw people. I decided to just wait inside to be safe, people might recognize me in broad daylight.

I looked around his house and saw some framed pictures, I saw Aspen with two other women. One looked old and the other one looked young. I guessed that the old one was his mother and the young one was somehow his sister.

I then examined Aspen while he was asleep, to be honest, he was handsome. With his jet black hair, and green eyes. Not to mention his fit stature.
"My savior," I whispered in his ear while I smiled at him.

***