Epilogue

Three years later

Defeating the Empire took far lonthan Anakin had anticipated, probably, in part, due to the massive power struggle which took place immediately after Sidious's death. The only reason the Rebel Alliance triumphed with so few casualties was definitely because of the efforts put in by a certain former Jedi Knight, former Sith Lord: himself. He can't take all the credit, and nor does he want to, especially seeing as it's his fault the Empire existed in the first place. His wonderful twins helped immensely as well, their Force training making them that much more powerful.

Anakin can't even describe the feeling of victory which seized him as Mon Mothma is sworn in as the first Chancellor of the New Republic. At Leia's suggestion, Mothma will be immediately passing laws to prevent anyone from reforming an empire in the future as well as instituting term limits for everyone in the Senate. Never again will they permit an emperor.

While Leia has been busy in the political arena, Anakin and Luke have been working to restore the Jedi Order. They talked it over with Yoda, and all of them agree that numerous changes need to be made, including to the attachment rules. Much to Anakin's chagrin, Jade joined them after a number of conversations with Luke. She's no longer the Emperor's Hand, and whatever Dark Side leanings she may have are being carefully controlled. Worse – or better, Anakin doesn't really know – she's going to be his daughter-in-law in a few short months.

For now, the Skywalker family is gathered together in their apartment. It's not often that they all have time to spend together at the same time, what with everyone being so busy. Almost a year ago, Leia married her smuggler friend, Han Solo, and while Anakin hadn't exactly been... happy, he'd still agreed. Though Solo might have been a smuggler, it was obvious that he was – and still is – a good friend.

"Mara went to check some possible leads on Force-sensitives," Luke informs them as they sit in the living room. Leia is sprawled in the armchair looking at a datapad when Anakin and his son are at opposite ends of the couch.

"That's good news," Anakin replies, feeling the guilt flash though him. He releases it just as quickly. He'd undergone an extensive surgery shortly after they destroyed the Emperor, and it had taken him months to recover. When he had, his strength had been back to what it used to be, what it could have been had he not been injured on Mustafar. Despite the scarring, he looks much the same as he used to, except that his hair is now gray.

"If we're going to restart the Order, we probably should find the surviving Jedi too," Luke adds.

"I don't think that there are any surviving Jedi," Anakin mutters, tapping his fingers on his thigh, eyes wandering over a wall, so he doesn't have to look at his children. Shame and guilt are constants now, so he's continually trying to let them go, to accept his actions and move on. Yoda has helped where he can, but the one who's provided the most guidance is, unsurprisingly, Obi-Wan. They talk frequently, once a week if not every other day.

"Not Jedi perhaps," Obi-Wan interjects, materializing in the room. He's standing near the doorway, amusement dancing in his eyes. "There are some... who are not Jedi."

"No more riddles," complains Anakin, pointing at him. "Speak Basic."

"Wait and see," the Force ghost hums, clearly satisfied with himself.

Leia eyes him before turning towards Anakin, sudden happiness on her face. "In around six months, there will probably be another Force sensitive who will be able to be trained," she announces, practically bouncing from excitement. "I'm expecting."

Luke beams. "Congratulations!" he exclaims, grinning at Anakin. "Although, Father and I already knew, because we sensed it."

"Of course, you did," his sister sniffs.