CHAPTER ONE. FIRE LIT UPON MY TONGUE

( CHAPTER ONE && FIRE LIT UPON MY TONGUE )

icarus is flying towards an early grave.

MORTALS ARE DRAWN to the primordial protection of humanity; the progenitor of fire. Orange, brilliant equatorial flames that desecrated the cold, bringing warmth and light to the darkness. It's the innate desire in all to want to seek out the element of vehemence; one that sparks of desire and yearning. But slowly, this desire comes to consume one's own mind— the greed and avarice of a mortal brings upon the downfall of humanity. Hubristic intent to want more than simple material belongings will cause the ravenous mortals to burn until only ashes remain.

A myth, told as a cautionary tale to children, once brought on the subject of hubris and primordial fire. Of how this boy tried to reach the heavens with his flawed, mortal wings. He flew high, soaring above mountains and high atop the waves but as he drew closer to the heavenly sphere of light, his wings melted apart and he came crashing down to earth. Consumed by the ocean waves he had once soared above, he is drowned in the antithetical element as mortality caught him at last.

Children were told that the consequences of their own growing hubristic intentions to replicate the boy could result in their own downfall. Though many heeded the cautionary tale, some did not.

And for those who did not, they chose to chase after their hearts. To chase after the impulse that only grew far more intense as years passed. Naïvety could shield them no longer as the consequences of playing with fire began to rear its ugly heads. There was a longing for the sun, a longing to be united with the genial celestial body and as a consequence, those dreamers burned. No mortal could ever reach the sun, the gods simply did not allow it. The skies, stars, moon, and all heavenly arrays above were nothing more than lies to please the children with dreams of reaching Celestia. But those were mere dreams, simple fairy tales and myths that did not exist.

And for those who tried, they were punished for their act of arrogance against the heavens.

IT WAS NEARLY two in the afternoon when you had finally woken from your heavy drinking with Kaeya from the night before.

As you lifted your head from your messy bed, you felt the head rush of an intense hangover hit you like a pile of bricks. Immediately, the sensation of bile crept up your throat, and threatened to make an appearance. You clasped a hand over your mouth as you pushed yourself out of your unkempt bedroom and rushed to the bathroom right beside.

Cold, brick tiles met your barren feet as you pushed past the door of your bedroom and threw yourself over the sink— feeling sickly as you gagged violently. None of last nights' partying made an appearance but the sensation did not leave you unscathed. Tears wet your eyes as you hacked and coughed until you pushed the bile down to your stomach once more.