01

• B I T T E R S W E E T | ほろ苦い

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"We are ready to invade their secret den. All targets set. Move!"

A bunch of marches followed their granted instructions, heading for a stampede. Their amok range of ruffled voices shook us at our ambushed positions. I heard the grazing of their thick soles pause outside our hideout. Apparently, we were all numb, no wonder how long we could still hold onto our postures until they broke our necks with a snap. Yes, they could or possibly be that vulgar and voracious to meet their desires. The only chance for our forgiveness was the innocent natural masks on the face of each of the members of our squad.

Our squad, although in the form of twenty-nine hungry souls together, were still a vulnerable page before the ones amplifying their warnings through hoarse notes outside the sole barrier between them and us.

"We'll count till three. If you still prefer to sit in there like major cowards then that's it. I'll take it as amiss and do not hesitate for another second."

The stiff aura was exactly opposite to what one called ambrosia. Goosebumps popped up on the crust of my skin. Two male adults waited at the sole entry and exit, holding machine guns in their hands, attaining a firm grip on their weapons as deafening bangs conquered the outer surface of the door. The other children commenced to shout and yell to the peak of their vocals but I squat there on the floor amidst those choas, just for paying attention to the invaders who harshly spat their ammo at the chests of the two watchmen. Blaring roars, thunderous squeals increased all the more after the dreadful scene of blood spilling out of innumerable holes on the two guarding bodies hit our visions.

However, I must mention that I was not at all bothered by the bullet shots, rather I liked it. I liked it maybe because finally, I would be achieving the freedom whom I had been admiring from quite a distance. Also because now I would not have any chains to tie my limbs. I would be free, under the wide skyline, like all others, outside the suffocating underworld of sins and crimes.

Yet sooner than later, I was highly disappointed to be proved wrong without the allowance of ample pair of seconds. Over the clock, our arms were clenched behind our hips, tears of regret and annoyance flooded my orbs. I walked out into the sun, scorching heat blazed on my dirt laid cheeks. Slowly comforting my eyes to adjust with the huge brightness, I lifted my neck to meet two iris, the one which now had amended a motherly affection in place of a cruel sense of discourtesy. Thin rivers of water meandered down her sunken cheek muscles. Was she crying? Did her stone heart finally develop some warmth? Was it because of me? Or us? Did she finally decide to conclude this shame before the entire nation? Nobody knew what was cooking in her mind but all I saw was the hot salty liquid strolling down her dry skin, be it for her sins or otherwise.

She was tied in strong steel chains though I noticed a different vibe in her motives, there still lived an ampersand whose consequences were yet unspecified.