Ending is Always a New Beginning

"I'm taking you to meet your past" said Devika, who was jumping in excitement.
"My past?" Anupama said, taking her seat and giving her a scary look, "My past lives in this house with me. What was even there in my past to even look forward to?"
"Oh! Shut up. I'm not talking about your ex.. or his family or his newly wedded wife as if they matter..."
"Then what are you taking about?" Anu (Anupama) was still trying to figure out what the excitement was. But as much as she knew her best friend, he "only" friend, she knew Devika gets excited over anything and everything.
"I'm talking about the reunion..."
"What reunion?"
"Our college's lifeline is back in town.. and guess what? He is throwing a bash!" Devika continues, "what are even doing here? Go, and get ready.. we have to leave like right now.."
"I'm not going to any reunion.."
"What do you mean, you are not going? You are coming with me and that's final. So, just go and get dressed. And wait! Don't wear your boring satees. Wear a suit maybe?"
"No ways..."
"I'm not listening to you.. just take this dress and get ready.. I'll only wait for 20 minutes."
"Alright.." Anu enters the washroom.
Devika keeps talking, "By the way, you remember Anuj?"
"Now, who is Anuj?" Anu asks.
"Your future husband" Devika murmurs.. "You will remember, eventually.. Come fast.."

***
While Anu has ended all ties with her former husband and given away her wifely rights to his new wife, she now wants to just focus on her career. And now that kids are all grown up, she has enough time for herself on career building.

But sometimes, we forget something very important. We have to make space for new things by giving away older ones. What we think is the end of a road, is sometimes just a bend, and a whole new life is waiting for us. To cherish. To celebrate. To appreciate.

***

At the reunion, all eyes were looking for Anuj. But he was nowhere to be found. Kind of like a curious case of a missing host.

Anu greets everyone when Devika introduced them. Anu reflects over her past 26 years, that stole her identity from her. This was probably the first time, people addressed her by her first name. And only shree knew how fascinating her own name sounded.

Devika gets a call and excuses herself. "Where are you?" she asks.
"Is she there?" a male voice echos on the phone.
"I'm so sorry. I couldn't convince her."
"I'm not coming.."
"What? Wait.. No.."
"I'm not in a mood. Enjoy. See ya, maybe tomorrow.."
"No.. Anuj.. wait.. everyone is looking for you. Just come for like 5 minutes. Promise you won't regret." Devika pleads..
"I don't feel like coming."
"First she ditched me, and then you are. You both are made for each other."
"Stop it! Devu"
"At least pay some respect to my emotional blackmailing and come over.. 5 minutes. Promise.."
"Alright.. I am in this hotel's conference room, anyways. See ya.."
"Come fast..."

***

And there he was! Eyes filled with sadness and sorrow, heart without a hope, and life... life mostly lifeless.. Walking in the lobby, he realised how his only fault in life was to hope. He shouldn't have hoped that she will come. He doesn't even take her name, doesn't show any sort of claims on her...

Devika send Anu to washroom by ruining her dupatta with juice. And enters Anuj. Everyone goes gaga over him. He is the talk of the town. The biggest business tycoon is back to his own town. People just wants to get associated with him anyhow.. and the one he wants to get associated with, had no clue of his existence.

Anuj is not just a businessman, he is a poet, too. Just that, he hides this part of himself from the world. But when old friends meet, they just want to listen to your, don't they? That's exactly what happened. Devika along with everyone insisted Anuj to recite something.

Assured that Anu wasn't here, he inserted her hands in her coat pocket and pulled out a paper. Something he wrote recently in the conference room..

He adjusted his specs, oh by the way he looks sexy with glasses on!, and started to read...