Chapter 21

Claire

I felt like death the morning after I drank that dragon booze, but luckily Bennett was willing to take care of me. It was a strange feeling, since I was basically on my own after my parents were killed when I was a child. Having someone to feed me, help me to the bathroom, keep me entertained while I laid in bed, it was a new and heartwarming experience. Rowan was quite the opposite, practically ignoring me. He said it was my own fault that I was in that predicament so he didn't have any pity for me. I couldn't totally blame him, but I still missed his presence.

I blame that on the mate thing.

By the next day I was back to my usual self. The boys let me cook all of the meals as Bennett watched, willing to learn how to cook food that I liked. It was sweet and I felt my heart expand for him. When I was able to return his affections, not be terrified of him and not upsetting his wolf, he was actually very attentive and kind.

Also insanely hot.

I felt my body heat every time he got close to me. I think he knew that with the little touches he would sneak and all of the cuddles he dished out. Laying on the couch in the evening between the two of them was turning into my favorite part of the day. I was struggling a little, not having a real purpose. I was used to a schedule, a job, putting in hard work and passing out from exhaustion at the end of the day. At first I was in fear for my life so often, I hadn't noticed the gaping hole that I was now trying to fill. But as the days wore on, the more bored I became.

I had just finished another breakfast as was sitting down to eat when I heard Rowan roar from the other room. I ignored it at first. It seems these creatures throw a tantrum for even the smallest inconvenience that pops up.

And they think I'm emotional.

But when he came storming out of the room, his eyes glowing gold and fists clenched tight I knew he was really pissed.

"What's wrong Rowan?" I ask him, walking up to him and putting my hands on either side of his face.

I have learned that touching them is the easiest way to calm them down. The sparks we feel help to soothe them, even moreso than me. I knew my heart was beating fast, but I tried to swallow the fear. I knew he wasn't mad at me. At least I didn't think he had any reason to be. He watches me for a moment, taking deep breaths, until his arms shoot out and wrap around my waist, hauling me into his chest. Bennett comes inside from a run in the forest at that moment, likely hearing Rowan's roar, and watches us closely. I relax into Rowan's gentle hold, nuzzling my face into his chest. I feel his muscles relax under me and he sighs heavily.

"The council has called me back." He says quietly and Bennett whines.

"What do you mean?" I ask, looking up into his face. His eyes are back to grey and his gaze turns soft as he meets mine.

"It means I have to leave for awhile." He says softly and my heart drops to my stomach. I was quickly becoming attached to these beasts, I wasn't sure how I would fare being away from them.

"Can you take us with you?" I ask him and he shakes his head.

"No. Not until you're marked. I don't want you anywhere near other supernaturals. Any other people at all for that matter." He says with a little growl and I huff out a breath as tears threaten my eyes.

"But I want to go. I'll be safe with you and Bennett." I say and he growls again.

"I'm not willing to risk it, Claire. If something happened to you... If someone touched you... I would kill them without a second thought." He says firmly and I feel a traitorous tear track down my face.