chapter forty-five

It was time for another boring event for Oswald's party

It was time for another boring event for Oswald's party. Fancy people dressed in their fancy suits and dresses, showing off their newest diamonds and rings. Boring women now giggling once champagne had hit their heads just right and their husbands smoking cigars in a lounge while comparing their egos.

Anna remembers the last time she had been in an event as big as this one. It was the one with the ballet. Like back then, she felt completely out of place. The odd one, the black sheep who doesn't belong but unlike the last time, this time it was true.

She didn't belong with Oswald and his people. With Lisa and her paranoias, or with Sir Wallace.

Sir Wallace wasn't an awful man ― Anna has met many of those but he wasn't someone she wanted to marry. He was a lot older and she didn't know him or felt any attractions towards the man.

"Anna!" Said Eloise cheerly when bumping into her.

The young woman turned towards the other, a relieved smile gracing her face.

Anna hasn't seen Eloise since her trip to Small Heath nor did she know anything about what had happened. Lisa had become even more paranoid and didn't let Anna see anyone, not even Eloise. Anna's appearance at this event was already a big stretch from Lisa but Sir Wallace had insisted that he gets to show off his soon to be wife.

Eloise gently grabbed Anna's arm and without saying a word, she guided her to an empty room. The room seemed to be some sort of a library since there were books covering every corner.

"I've been trying to get in touch with you forever," sighed Eloise and hugged Anna.

"Lisa's gone absolutely mad," muttered Anna when Eloise let go of her. "I can't go anywhere without her, speaking of which, we have just a little time."

"Of course, of course. Now I have spoken to your cousin and mother..." started Eloise and Anna took a shaky breath in. "And we have a plan."

Anna hasn't felt hopeful or happiness that often ― one specific time was when she got to Small Heath and found her mother ― but this feeling came close to second. She felt light as a feather, weightless and free. The sun was once again smiling at her through the cloud filled sky.

She had to take a seat and calm herself. She mustn't get too hopeful though ― knowing her and her past ― things might blow at her face. She looked at Eloise, tears filling her eyes like a puddle the rain has been filling for some minutes.

Anna was grateful that there was a plan but she didn't care ― she only cared of one thing.

"How's my mum?" She chocked out.

Eloise smiled softly at her. "She's good now that she knows you're all right."

"Good," sighed Anna and a rock fell off of her heart. "Good."