An empty house, a haunted doll

There were no scarcities regarding odd events before today.

Things would suddenly disappear, specifically your clothes, or other small things you owned, there was often scratching or rather, scattering, in the walls. Almost like rats, but it was way too loud and heavy for any small animal.

The food would disappear too, and dirty dishes would turn up in the kitchen, but you never recalling ever leaving dirty dishes around.

And, most of all, the doll. It would move places, sometimes even dissappear completely for a short period of time.

It was ridiculous, but you grew to believe this doll was haunted by the ghost of Brahms. And of course, you didn't want to anger the spirit any longer, so you decided to do as you're told, and take care of the little boy doll.

And so you did, for the last week. Following the daily schedule with only a few additions.

And for now, you were playing him his song.

"Alright, Brahms"
You spoke up, having finished playing the song for the doll next to you.

"Time to clean out the traps.."
You stood up, gently grabbing the doll, and holding him like a small child.

A smile spread across your face as you walked out of the room, a small whistle escaping your lips.. It was the song. You've heard it so often now, it's stuck in your head. Maybe it would make a good lullaby.

After grabbing Brahm's coat, gently putting it on him, you grabbed your own, and a black trash bag, before you both left the house to clean out the rat traps.

You could've sworn you heard quick rumbling, like someone almost falling over their feet, but decided to ignore it. Maybe it's better to act oblivious in these situations.

"Okay.."
You place the doll down on the stone stairs, making sure he was sitting straight.
".. Sorry for putting you on these cold stairs.. It won't take long.."
Your hand reached up, caressing the dolls cheek for just a second, before doing your chore of cleaning out traps.

After some time, it was like a burn on your back, your head almost snapping to the side, looking at the window above you. The curtain moved, despite all the windows and doors being closed.

".. Is someone..."
You shook your head, there's no need for stupid thoughts.

It was really odd how food always disappeared, because even if there was a ghost, it wouldn't have to eat anything, right? It was like there was someone else living in the house. But you didn't want to believe that. It was somehow easier to believe there is a ghost, rather than another human living in a secret hiding place.

You brushed it off, humming to yourself once again. The song in your head managed to drown out the unwanted noises around you, even the door creaking open behind you.

After clearing out the last trap, you wrapped the top of the bag into a knot, before walking back to the stone stairs where you had left the doll.

But he wasn't there. He wasn't anywhere near the stairs.

"Oh god.. Where have you gone now?"
You quickly stepped inside the house after leaving the trash bag outside, taking off your coat before you rushed around the house, desperately looking for the doll.

You can't lose him now. If the doll somehow breaks, who knows what would happen, and well, you somehow managed to get a little attached to it as well.

Being all alone out here, with a doll and some guy that occasionally comes over, it gets boring and especially, lonely. It was somehow better to assume the doll can actually hear everything you say, and see everything you do, keeping you company when you're alone.