DEMPSEY TALANG PREPARATORY

Dempsey Talang Preparatory School (commonly referred to as DTPS) is a private, for-profit, co-educational boarding and day college preparatory school for grades PK-12 located in Malibu, Los Angeles, California.

Its curricular focus is on Sports, Music, Dance, Drama, Modeling, Global Studies & Citizenship, Leadership, Media, Entrepreneurship and more.

All students take a minimum of four years of a language other than English; many take a third language as well. All of the language teachers are native in the tongue that they teach.

Dempsey-Talang Preparatory School was opened in 1980 after Eric Dempsey and Ashley Talang won the 1979 Olympics in their respective fields.

Dempsey-Talang Preparatory School's students make yearly cultural, service oriented, and linguistic trips to multiple destinations across the world.

The school also offers longer 6 to 8 week exchanges intended to enhance the students' globally focused education outside the classroom and enrich their linguistic proficiency.

The trips often consist of exchange programs in which DTPS students are hosted by local families in the foreign country. In return, DTPS families host students from the various foreign countries on campus or in their homes in Malibu.

The DTPS faculty is recruited from all over the world and represents over 40 nationalities. The average number of years of teaching experience is just under 20, and more than 80% of the faculty hold master's degrees or higher.

Many graduates attend respected universities such as University of Chicago, UC Berkeley, NYU, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, UCLA, King's College London, St. Andrews, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Washington University, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Georgetown, Brown, Williams, Penn, University College London, Carleton, Davidson, Emory, London School of Economics, and Wellesley.

Also Many graduates have went on to be notable figures in different areas of entertainment and more like the NBA, NFL, MLS, NHL and the Olympics.

Motto
All things are ready, if our mind and body are prepared.

Mascot
Great blue heron

Director
Erica S. Nalu

Color(s)
Blue
White
Gray

School hours
8:00 AM to 2:20 PM

Average class size
22

Student-faculty ratio
19.8

Enrollment
2,010 (2019–20)

Campus type
Metropolitan

Language
English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Arabic German, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese

Website
www.dtpschool.org