CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

THE WELCOME COMMITTEE'S WELCOME

"Welcome to Dempsey Talang Preparatory; we're the welcome committee. Hi, my name is Laura Wang. I'm a student here and one of the co-chairs of our school's Welcoming Committee. Today, members of the committee will be giving you all tour of our beautiful school," Laura said before she let Kylie continue their joint speech.

"Hi, my name is Kylie Nikiforov. I'm a student here and one of the co-chairs of our school's Welcoming Committee. On this tour, you will be shown around by our members and sit with them at break and lunch, and as you settle into your new life at Dempsey Talang Preparatory, our committees will generally keep our eyes on you all for the next month or two," Kylie said.

"We hope you all enjoy your time at Dempsey Talang Preparatory," Laura said, finishing the speech.

"Now, you all have your dorm's location, so please split into four groups: south, north, east, and west," Kylie said.

The new kids move around and join their groups.

"Great; now you will follow the members to meet your new resident advisers. Have a nice day, everyone," Laura said.

"You think you can spend $2,000 on goodie bags for twenty! That's cutting into our homecoming budget!" Seokjin shouted at Kylie and Laura as he did the budgeting process for this month's activities.

Kylie bit her lip as Laura picked at her nails.

"I thought we had a budget increase this year," Laura said.

Seokjin glared at her.

"Yeah, and extra $2,000 that you just spent on those ridiculous goodie bags, Laura," Seokjin said.

Kylie gasped.

"You should have told us that," Kylie said.

Seokjin sighed.

"I did, I even repeated it at the council meeting, and you two remember what you said, 'We won't spend more than $400.' Liars!" Seokjin exclaimed.

Laura pulled out her phone and used Apple Pay to send $4,000 to the welcome committee's fund account.

Seokjin heard a ding from his phone and pulled it out, and saw the notification.

"Nice talking to you ladies as always," Seokjin said as he walked away and went back to his desk.

"He always yells at us to get more money out of us," Kylie told Laura.

"And it only works because he's so hot," Laura said.

Kylie giggled.

"True," Kylie said.

"What is it, Blair?" Selena asked.

"Mrs. Russo, we have a late new student here," Blair answered as she stepped aside to let the new student step into the room.

Selena stood up and walked around her desk to greet the new student.

"Oh hello, I'm Mrs. Russo, the head of the student engagement and residence, and you must be Haley Bridges," Selena said, remembering that Kylie told her that a girl named Haley was the only one not to show for orientation.

"Yes, I'm Haley Bridges," Haley said.

"It's great to see you attend Dempsey Talang Preparatory and have heard you're considered one of the most talented gymnasts in the U.S. I hope Dempsey Talang Preparatory can help you with your goals to join the UCLA gymnastics team," Selena said.

Haley smirked.

"That's why I'm here," Haley said.

Selena nodded, then turned to grab something off her desk then handed it to Haley.

"This is your class schedule and your dorm keys; you're in the east campus, which is the athletic dorms. Blair will be your tour guide for today," Selena said.

"Thank you," Haley said.

"I hope you enjoy your time here, Haley," Selena said.

"I hope so too," Haley said.

Blair and Haley left Mrs. Russo's office and walked out of the building.

They talked about a few things before Blair led her to a luxury golf cart and got in.

"Why are we getting in a golf cart?" Haley asked.

Blair scoffed.

"Because there's no way I'm walking to the athletic dorms," Blair said.

Haley nods.

"So, what are you here for?" Haley asked Blair.

"Fashion, of course, but for my father's sake, I'm also here for entrepreneurship," Blair answered.

"That's nice of you," Haley said.

"I know right," Blair said as they passed students running to the museum.

Haley was curious.

"Why are they running?" Haley asked.

"Tomorrow, there's an art exhibition of the students' work," Blair answered.

Haley nodded.

"If you want to go, follow the art department students to the museum," Blair said.

"How will I know who's in the art department?" Haley asked Blair.

Blair chuckled.

"Trust me; you'll know," Blair answered.