Chapter One

Chapter one

Yerekeva, Therna
Sometimes, our world ends up shattered like a mirror ball and falls down into tiny shattered pieces with sharp edges that could end a person in a matter of seconds. These shattered pieces could be swapped away and thrown away, or it could be turned into a sword to fight the coming disasters.

The only lesson worth learning is how to fight till the last breath is taken. It’s a lesson that Kalyn Aldea had to learn on her journey to the outer world that was far away from reach. She was holding into the horse’s smooth hair and it ran at its full speed causing some clouds of sands under its hooves.

She held into its hairs hiding in its neck as the wind was resisting their movement filling her mouth with grains of sands and it pushed the hood that was over her head down revealing her fresh black waves for a hair falling like delicate threads down her back.

“Only few feet left, you can do it,” she said as she rubbed her horse’s back trying to comfort it. She knew it must be exhausted. She took off from early dawn and it’s almost dusk in the Twisting Fields desert. Her eyes wondered to the bag she was holding so tight into. It was made from a snake’s skin that her mother had hunted for trying to eat her bird’s eggs. She folded it up at the edges and secured in that rectangular shape with strings of the same material. She watched her mother work so hard on it that her eyes teared up when she handed it to her the moment she told her she would run away. She had two other ones on her but one thing for sure, they didn’t have the same emotional value.

She could still see the tears in her mother’s eyes the moment she told her. She could clearly see them because they were craved in the back of her mind. Her mother, despite all the tears, never stopped her, in fact she helped her run away and swore to take care of her only son until it’s time for her to come back and she hoped that it would be safe enough then.

She rubbed her horse’s neck gently and placed a gentle kiss. She was thankful for it for carrying her that far without giving up yet.

“Only few feet left,” she kept repeating as she looked at the crumbled paper that she had fisted more times than she could possibly count. She opened it again from its miserable state and she did the calculations in her mind, the drawing lengths calculations, the number of feet and more as she took the final turn. It was a ninety degree turn and the horse kept running but at a slower rate obviously exhausted.

Her heart skipped a beat as she saw the lights coming from a far and she stopped. She got off the horse and started walking with it to the city. She walked with the horse and then a very strong neigh that she felt were mixed with fear broke free. She stared at her horse who raised its front legs in a sudden movement with wide eyes as she tried to locate the reason. She looked at the ground and her eyes widened once she saw a cobra. Her horse was raising its legs front in fear and its eyes widened as well. She knew that if it was not for her tight hold, the horse would have ran away.

“Calm down,” she said as she tried to hold her fear deep within and deny its existence. The snake was hissing and it started moving towards her. She bit her lips and traced it with her eyes. Her eyes wondered to the bag and back to the snake. She wondered if her mother had placed anything of use inside it. The snake moved closer and touched her legs making her scream but she soon got a grip. She closed her eyes shut as she didn’t wish to see how her end would be but apparently something else interested the snake. She had no idea what it was until she no longer felt its touch, this made her slowly open her eyes. She watched as the serpent left her and headed for her bag. Something seemed to get its attention as it went inside it. She used that chance and immediately got on her horse and took off. Her eyes wondered back to the bag. A tear escaped her eyes and she refused to dry it. That would be a great start. She decided to come back again and hopefully find it. She knew the chances were slim, almost none existent but she refused to believe that she lost it.