𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

"Do I make myself clear?"

•*•

The Shelby clan are very complex individuals.

They each hold their own views on survival, family, and business but in the end they all remain on the same page. They are loyal to one another, protection had always been key.

When the matriarch of the Shelby clan heard that a betrayal had taken place, she was quick to jump forward to defend her nephew. No one fucks with her family.

The Garrison was quiet and empty. The usual chatter and cheers were nonexistent due to it being closed for the rest of the day. Everyone knew danger was on its way.

The only barmaid had just grabbed her coat and purse ready to shield herself from the backlash that was sure to happen if not soon than definitely later. She was told to leave, and she hadn't, she had one more task to finish. But, she had to leave now and fast before she came face to face with her own repercussions.

Looking up from her action of buttoning her coat, her eyes immediately became consumed with fear at the sight of a certain Gray woman that could intimidate anyone with just her presence. Polly's heels sounded sharp and slow against the wood of the pub floors, halting her steps a few feet away from the guilty barmaid, she voiced firmly, "Going for good?"

Grace gripped her handbag tensely. She had no clue how this conversation would go, so she remained with a gentle stillness. Just like how she was trained, when in a unexpected situation always stay neutral, "I heard there was trouble."

Tilting her lip up in disbelief, Polly quipped back, "Instinct is a funny thing."

Leaning against the pillar beside her casually, the Gray woman continued with undisturbed calmness, "See, normally I can tell about a person, but with you-"

Grace was done with the short words shared between them already. Cutting the older woman's words short, she spoke more adamantly, "Look, the fighting is about to begin. We should get out of here."

Polly was not having it. Instantly cutting to the chase, she stated forcefully, "Should've left when you had the chance, then. We know who you are," reaching up to her hair, the Gray woman watched as Grace grew more uneasy, "Tommy knows as well, you already know that," a thin silver needle was slowly pulled out of her updo, the action alone seeming threatening, "Turns out that copper as good as told him this morning which confirmed everything. But I wanted to hear it from your own lips."

Grace unclipped her purse shakily, grabbing the weapon that lied inside. Raising it up, her posture became stiff, "I am an agent of the Crown. I have the power to arrest and the right to use force, so please, step out of my way."