#2: How I Got Into This Mess

16/10/21, 5:49 AM

After spending two hours playing Angry Birds out of all games out there and catching up on some Zs, I feel better. Then I realised I haven't even introduced myself properly. I'm Jonathan Smith, as you know, or you can also call me Jon or Jonny. I'm a high school student, who was about to graduate. I live a pretty normal life, having normal friends and doing stuff a normal 17 year old would do, like binging the newest episode of Rick and Morty. That was, until I stumbled upon something I never should've even clicked on. Something that wasn't even meant for people like me to see.

I was bored out of my mind on a Sunday evening. I had just played Warzone with my friends and my vocal cords were resting after a day's worth of screaming and cussing. Deciding to browse the web, I turned on my computer. The Windows logo lit up. I could see my own reflection in the monitor. When I was finally logged in and saw my desktop littered with assignments, "homework", and various other stuff, it struck my mind like lightning. I decided that it would be perfect to go browsing on the dark web. "Dark web", sounds creepy, right? It was all the rage in my high school and there was always that one kid who bragged about finding Russian missiles for sale on some obscure website. So I figured it was time for me to make my foray into the depths of the internet. I set up Tor and a VPN, then wasted no time in jumping into the notorious rabbit hole. Immediately, I saw stuff such as weapons ( like pistols or rifles) for sale, drugs as well, illegal animals, and people even. I scrolled for hours, finding each post more interesting than the last, until my mom told me to come down to eat dinner.

After that was done, I immediately rushed into my bedroom to continue my spooky scary adventure. After scrolling for what seemed like five hours, I hit upon one ominous website.

"The truth behind the statues at Easter Island"

Immediately, I clicked on it. I've always found those statues incredibly creepy and I always read whatever conspiracy theories on them I could find. I was greeted by a shrill static which made me jump in my seat. I quickly turned down the volume, hoping my parents hadn't heard it. When I actually saw what was on my screen, I nearly screamed but managed to stifle it in time. On my screen was a bloodied moai statue, except it had...arms and feet?! What came afterwards probably stopped my heart. There was a pop up on my screen, which read "Got you :)". Thinking that it was some kind of sickening prank, I sighed in relief and
closed the browser, thinking of my friends reactions when I tell them this, with a smile. Until, that smile was wiped off my face as quickly as it appeared. "Closing the browser will not end what you began. It is now your fate to be decided by the moai". I  probably read that message fifty times, over and over again, in disbelief of what I had just read. My fate? To be decided by the moai? I was shook to my core. The image of that blood smeared...thing kept flashing in my eyes. I considered telling my parents, but then they would take away my computer and ground me for a week. Hoping it was only some prank, though now it was alarming, I shut down the computer, and slept, because I had a long day of school the next day.

Little did I know, outside my window, thousands of miles away, a tiny creature dug its way out of hibernation and rose from the ground. After hundreds of years of inactivity, its bones creaked and fresh blood started to ooze out of the stone to give it that gruesome look. That night...

           The moyai had awoken