● cнαρтεя тωσ

Spring 1532

The rocking of the ship had various effects on the people on board. It had been four days and they were sailing steadily towards their destination. The captain was a close friend of Gulnihal's dearly departed husband. Bonding with her old friend bought Hurrem some relief.

Gulnihal told Hurrem of the two years she spent with her husband. With his death, she was entitled to his wealth and she spent the next six years avoiding marriage proposals from greedy men.

Gulnihal had quite a few contacts in Palermo, Sicily and Hurrem was hopeful that they would give them shelter until she could decide her next move.

Bayezid was made for the sea, her son was getting underfoot and often you could see Zeynep chasing him on the bow of the ship. Selim was the opposite. He had a weak stomach and a bucket became his closest companion. Two days in, Seker had made a dish with a ginger base and that soothed his stomach, the first food he kept down since they'd boarded.

Esma was the one who realised this and had ginger tea on hand for him, whenever he felt upset.

Changir slept often, the rocking lulling him, giving poor Esma's arms a rest.

Mehmed became her shadow, following her around and refusing to let her out of his sight. The only time he seemed to rest was when he was asleep. It was as if he needed to keep her within his sight to quell his anxiety.

Mihrimah, her darling girl, refused to speak. She had not said a word since they left Istanbul. She would walk around almost sick like and spent most of her time writing. Hiding her scrolls in places that no one could find.

Hurrem was lost at what she should do. Nigar told her to allow Mirihimah to grieve. She was her father's only daughter, his moon and they had a strong bond. Every fiber of her body aches to hold her daughter, to try and comfort her. But she knew that losing her father wasn't something that could be willed away with hugs. She knew from experience, having to deal with the loss alone, save for Gulnihal.

The moon was high as she took a seat on the loft. They had a lively dinner with the Captain and Crew. Sumbul and Gul never failed to make her laugh with their quarrels. Yet with the rocking of the boat and the still of the night, her heart ached.

The grief washed over her in waves. As the boat rocked, so too did her heart. Every night when the moon came out, and all was quiet, the only noise in the cabin were Hurrem's soft sobs.

"Oh, my love, why did you have to go,"
she whispered to herself. She rubbed the ring on her finger.

The emerald shone in the dimly lit room. It represented his love for her and she always wore it to remember. She thought she would have to leave it behind during her escape but due to Esma smart thinking it was here.

Allah, am I cursed ? She questioned. Must I lose all who I love? My mama, my papa, my sister and my husband. Oh, great Allah, why have you cursed me?

She began to cry, letting out a heart wrenching sob. Her stomach hurt and her eyes burned. The pain in her heart was too great. She was so wrapped in her pain that she didn't hear the door open.

"Anne?''

Mehmed and Mirihimah were standing at the door, she wiped her eyes quickly, not wanting the children to see her pain, and trigger theirs.

"Anne,'' her daughter whimpered her first words in five days.

"I thought you would stay with Zeynep and Esma,'' sniffed Hurrem.

"We were tired Valide,'' replied Mehmed.

"And your brothers?'' she asked

"They are taking a turn on the deck with Zeynep and Esma,'' he answered, "Zeynep said they have too much energy,"