Chapter 45 - The Fruits of Density

Now that Resh examined the change more closely it was able to feel that it was not solid yet but it was also hard-pressed to call itself a gelatinous material either. More like a stick before might have passed straight through it and done some damage without meeting any meaningful resistance. Now, if the same stick were to enter Resh's body, it would be stopped by the density of the material, not just got through. Manipulating its body was a little slower and required a little more intent, but then Resh's body didn't bounce back as quickly either. It was an interesting change and not entirely unwelcome. Resh felt as if it would be able to handle more, it had toughened up quite literally. Who knew what would happen if such a profound change had hit is at 5g/cm3 then what would happen at 10g/cm3 which were the requirements? Would Resh final become solid enough for objects to bounce off it? Just objects pinging off its body and it remained completely impervious? Resh took a moment to imagine its impenetrable hide and revelled in the feeling of invulnerability. That would make things a lot easier! Resh thought about what it would be like not to be close to dying at most moments in its life, a novel idea and a very appealing one. Maybe this would not be just about increasing strength. It could be about greater survivability as well.

Your Density has increased beyond 5g/cm3. Your Skill Strong Shell of the River Crab have changed to Tough Slime Skin and will now cover and is incorporated into your skin. Damage reduction stays the same but all areas covered by your skin will have these properties. You have reduced malleability but retain the ability to change shape just at a slower speed.

Your melee and ranged attacks that rely on your own body have gained additional damage based on your current density. Increased density will result in greater damage moving forward.

With that exciting thought of the future, Resh moved to Consolidate some more, in its mind more density was equal to more safety from damage and predators. It was also a turning point in Resh's development as it saw an increase in Strength, Endurance and other Physical attributes with the last round instead of just ranged and mental attributes. It was an interesting change and Resh wanted to see what this change meant moving forward. An exciting time in the life of an Earth Slime!

One thing that concerned Resh at this moment was what would happen if it grew too dense and lost its malleability? What would happen? Would it still be able to morph and change shape as required, already its ability to flatten out had slowed considerably, its ability like Strong Camouflage took longer to take effect when it wanted to change to match different environments and Strong Odour Alteration was a little slower as well, not by much but Resh had still noticed. I need time to think...is this path going to be worth it?

Meanwhile, if it looked at the positive changes this increase in density had not only improved its defence but also improved its melee and ranged weaponry. The projectiles it could shoot were more solid and had a greater impact. While its melee weapons did not bend around the target at all, which meant greater damage was done. Was all that worth the effort? While Resh thought about it the Earth Slime extended feelers into the soil to pick up any stray insects and worms that were hanging around, that steady diet had improved its experience base to the point that it had almost reached the next level so there was no reason to stop that growth while it mulled things over.

YOU HAVE REACHED Earth Slime Level 5! CONGRATULATIONS! +1 Strength, +1 Resistance, +1 Dexterity. Talent Earth Born +3 has increased to Earth Born +4, Earth Resistance +10%

You have just received +8.3 Luck!

And with that last level up it was halfway to evolving again, it seemed fortuitous since it was also halfway to the requirement for Dense Slime, if that was still to be its goal.

Resh was still undecided. What it did know was that it was enjoying staying in the soil and so it would continue to do so. Nothing else mattered at this moment and so it would continue to swell and grow through eating the soil and creatures inside as it had been for the last few weeks. There was nothing in the soil that could hurt it. So far Resh had not found anything stronger than it was. Unlike in the forest and the river, here in this dark world, Resh was finally the apex predator, something that it had wanted to be since its creation. Here it would be said that it had achieved its goal of survival, if it went out into the world again wouldn't it be in harm's way? Wouldn't it once more be prey to larger and stronger enemies? Maybe it should live out its life here, in the safety and quiet of the soil.

Resh decided to continue fishing through the soil for small creatures and worms, digging deeper once more for that solace it had found in the depths. Deeper still, twenty feet, then thirty and forty, far deeper than it had gone before. The pressure that before had been too much now nothing more than a tickle with its increased Density. Resh continued pushing forward, testing itself against this new challenge of nature. Camouflaged and Odour Altered as it was, the perfect hunter in its domain. With no intention of stopping Resh kept going.

Suddenly, while still moving there was a low rumble. Starting soft and gentle, almost rocking Resh in its soil formed cocoon. Then louder and more violent as the vibrations permeated Resh's hardened skin. Next thing Resh knew something was grazing against its caprice, rough skin in the form of soil granules that was part of its Camouflage that covered its body. Resh shuddered; it took fully twenty seconds for the creature to pass under Resh creating a thin channel in the soil. It was the largest worm-like creature that Resh had felt, nothing could be seen in the darkness but this Earth Slime had encountered enough predators in the past to know when it was out-matched. Once again Resh's dreams of being an apex predator in its home were shattered and Resh realised it was time to get out of the soil and onto the surface where it could see things coming for it. Perception and hearing were not good enough yet for Resh to be able to understand what was happening around it like the Groles or other underground dwellers was. The soft soil was just collapsing into the tunnel the creature had created and Resh got a chance to Identify it.

Baby Basilisk; Level 3; HP: 2164; Weight: 4.25 kg

This thing was more than Resh could handle. About the heaviest Resh had been and not just heavy for the sake of being heavy. It had nothing but muscle. It could swallow Resh whole and just keep going. Why had Resh not seen such a predator before? Were the Basilisks that rare? Or had Resh's ability to Camouflage once again, inadvertently, saved its life? While it had been in the soil, Resh had used Loamy Soil as both smell and texture. Resh was indistinguishable from the soil around it. Were these creatures attracted to soil creatures? So then was it just chance that had led it this close to Resh? Also, Resh thought, that was just a baby. So this is the smallest form of this creature. Where are the larger ones? Are there more and larger forms deeper in the soil? I could have been eaten and not even known...Would those creatures even have noticed?

Resh could not co-ordinate its thoughts and a louder rumble came from much deeper in the soil as well, the passing of a deep soil titan. Using its Ears of Echo Location determined that the sound was coming from far below where the Earth Slime currently was but it was still terrifying knowing that it shared the soil with something so colossal. The feeling of awe that filled it, the feeling of complete and utter insignificance, far outweighed what it had felt with the Humans or even the direct ire of the Panther. This thing that was below was far greater than anything Resh had felt before some of such inconceivable size and proportions that Resh was left reeling.

Time to get out of the soil! This place is even more dangerous than the water or the air! Can something that large even truly exist? How did I not realise that something like that was in the soil below me? At least it is moving slowly. God, I hope it doesn't decide to come any closer. Need to stay away from its babies, if the Groles reaction is anything to go by... This thing would tear it apart, Resh had probably only survived this long because of how it blended with the environment. It was time to get out! Resh propelled itself upward fear and dread were its accelerants, working to coax ever more speed from its tiny body.