A Strange Customer

Ciel awkwardly stood at the forefront of the store with Garret who had been showing him the console for taking customer orders for the last fifteen minutes.

"Okay, you think you wanna watch me take orders for a bit before you try?"

Ciel quietly nodded.

"Alrighty! Come on over here!"

Ciel dejectedly followed him over to the console closest to the entrance door as a customer in a yellow shirt and ragged jeans walked through. Garret leaned down to Ciel and whispered in his ear.

"I'll show ya' how it's done, and try to look a little more happy Ciel"

He stood back up and waved at the man as the man slowly strolled up to the counter

"Hey there! Welcome to McPoggers! What can I do for you today sir?" The man looked up at the menu for a moment and then back at the pair.

"I'll have uh, a cheeseburger meal with a bunch of ketchup." He looked down and noticed a little Ciel standing next to the man taking his order while Garret was still trying to continue the transaction. "Who's this little squirt here?

"Tch-" Ciel started to grunt but Garret jumped in to interrupt him.

"He's our new staff today, a bright boy, on training right now. Now would you like pickle onion, ketchup on that burger?" Garret hovered his finger over the buttons while he waited for the man to answer him, but he kept on talking to Ciel instead.

"They hire em' young nowadays huh?" Good on him for gettin started on helpin pay the bills early." He chuckled to himself. "I'll have everything on the burger if you will." As Garret punched in the order the man handed him a small square piece of folded paper. "Give this to the little guy. It's from a friend" Garret grabbed the paper along with the $8.09 for the meal.

"Thank you sir. Have a great day!" He dropped the act as soon as the man left to sit down.

"Phew. That was a weird one. They don't usually do that. I'll show you for a couple more customers and then have you try it." He handed Ciel the crinkled paper. "Do what you want with this I guess."

Ciel glanced at it for a moment. His eyes went a little wide when he noticed a seal on it, and he quickly put the paper in his pocket. Garret was already tending to the next customer so Ciel stood beside him and watched again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a couple hours of observing Ciel was at the counter with a customer standing in front of him, Garret on the sidelines.

"Uh, h-hello sir." he stammered through his lines trying to remember what this "being courteous" thing was. "What do you wa-a, I mean what can I do for you?" The man smiled at him and told him his order. Ciel fumbled around trying to remember how to customize a MacDaddy, while Garret slipped into the back.

"What else can I do for you." He asked in an unenthused voice, only repeating what Garret had said to the customers earlier. More focused on what was in the corner of his eye in the back then on what was in front of him. Some of the employees that had been shuffling about had simply seemed to have vanished.

His concentration was broken when the man kept saying, "Excuse me, excuse me," Ciel came back to attention to the customer.

"What else do you want?" He snapped at him.

 They finished up the transaction as Garret came out with two other guys in the company uniform except they looked much different from the ones before. Both the new men had green eyes, were noticeably taller than the other employees. They stayed in the back, one going to the fryer and the other walking off to who knows where, and Garret came up to Ciel.

"Sorry I had to step out for a minute, but great job my boy! Ciel winced at the sheer enthusiasm of this energetic man, but made out a faint

"Thanks."

Ciel continued taking orders with Garret till his shift ended with minimal mishaps for the rest of the time, besides a couple moments where Ciel almost yelled at customers but refrained himself. Garret led him into through the rows of greasy stoves into the break room.

"Good job today Ciel. You did well for your first day." He sat down on one of the short wooden benches with Ciel. "Very impressive for someone who has been here so little time, and for someone so young. One thing though, you might want to ditch the eyepatch, it might give customers the wrong idea. It's not exactly up to company dress code.

"I will no-" Ciel got cut off as a slender man walked into the room dressed in all black, his presence commanding the room.

"Sir, I'm afraid he suffered an unsightly injury to that eye, he is very insecure about people seeing it. I am sure you would not wish your customers to see such horrid sights on such a poor boys face." He turned to Ciel. "Come along, let us get home."

Ciel nodded and followed Sebastian out of the store into a short alley where Ciel pulled out the paper he had been handed that he had stashed in his pocket.

"We'll exchange info here and now."