Leave (Prologue)

After all those horrible months spent on 4546b, they could finally leave.

Though, Robin didn't have a choice. She could have stayed on the planet, and lived like Marguerit or wait for Alterra to find her. She didn't like the idea of either.

The thought of meeting other Architects was frightening but nowhere near as frightening as the thought of an empty world.

But it all went sideways when a serious issue occurred.

The ship stopped between two phase gates.

"AL-AN, what happened?" Robin asked, inhaling a shaky breath.

"The ship's propulsion malfunctioned for unknown reasons-" The Architect would have begun if wasn't interrupted.

"Are we stuck here?!" She panicked, the pulse in her neck going faster than light.

"Negative, we are not forced to stay, I am capable of solving the malfunction." They noted, tone calm and cold as always.

The colourful light disappeared from the insides of the ship, dimmer green taking its place. Instead, the body detached, life straying back to it.

"Wouldn't it be easier to.. I don't know, run a diagnostic on the ship?" Still panicking, Robin didn't even bother trying to hide it. It was a very normal thing to do at the moment.

"I have already done that, the issue needs to be fixed manually, otherwise will not be able of moving the ship any further," AL-AN commented, splitting their focus between controlling, talking and working out a plan.

"So we're stuck here." Taking a seat on the cold floor, her back hit the wall, she almost fainted.

"Negative, our status has not changed since." They flickered, opening a way to the ship's internal structure.

At that, Robin felt even sicker, her stomach twisting in fear, what if there was a leak and all the oxygen escaped into space?

No, that wasn't right, AL-AN wouldn't have opened the door if there was a potential danger. There wasn't.

As she claimed herself, she stood up to go behind AL-AN.

Woah, was what first came to her mind at the sight of the complex build.

"Is this even possible? Does this not cross any law of physics?" She asked, mouth still hanging open from amazement.

"I kindly ask you not to question things outside of your field, especially when you have no idea how it works." They sounded serious as they carefully shoved her away.

That wasn't nice, she thought, standing aside not to bother the other.

"May I ask you to wait in the front of the ship while I work on the issue?" They asked, turning to her once again before getting fully involved in their work for god knows how long.

"Yes, of course. I'll be reading, if you need any help." Robin reassured with a smile.

She knew AL-AN wouldn't say anything more, but kinda hoped they said 'I doubt, but-'.

Taking a seat in the corner, perfectly angled to glance at the outside void, dark and cold but incredibly full of possibilities.

With that thought, she immersed herself into the endless amount of data on her PDA about alien lifeforms she has collected.

•--------------------•

Hours seemed to pass when the dim green light disappeared from the ship and they entirely stopped in drifting with the slight energy the propulsion unit was generating.

"I apologize for any inconvenience, I can only make repairs if turned off the lighting," AL-AN said, earning Robin's focus on them.

"How's it going?" She asked, walking closer, quite eager to have a reason and stretch her limbs.

A confused red flashed through them, "It is not going as you can tell we are standing in place-"

"I did not mean it literally." Robin tried to walk closer, before being stopped by a gentle but strong arm.

"I may have to ask you not to come any closer." Their colours changing to a soft green, they said.

"Understood." Was the only reply that came from her.

She settled back into her earlier place, once again reading through seemingly infinite information about long-extinct species.

Another hour passed.

•--------------------•

Robin's eyelids felt heavy, as she tried to blink the weariness away.

And effortlessly failed to.

"AL-AN-" She said, her voice was unusually tired "I'm going to sleep" with a yawn following after.

No answer came.

Robin laid back against the wall, looking at where her friend was supposed to be one last time before slipping into unconsciousness.

AL-AN could sense the sweet dreams their friend's mind was fading between and continued to work.

•--------------------•

The time Robin was asleep, AL-AN checked on her several times, making sure she wasn't hurt or laying uncomfortable.

They cared for their companion after all, even if they didn't show it in obvious ways.

Staring, they stood carefully observing the resting woman, reaching for the blanket Robin had beside her. AL-AN covered her, trying not to wake her with it.

•--------------------•

After AL-AN had finished working on the engines and propulsion they sealed the entrance and laid down against the wall next to Robin.

As they stared, the realisation of time hit, melancholy taking over them.

Drifting into hibernation, AL-AN saw the pink skies and flying whales Robin dreamt of once more, before slipping into unconsciousness just as well.