Chapter 18

Carly felt her jaw drop open; this was more than embarrassment at walking in on her and Jens. Camilla was genuinely angry. Carly suddenly felt sick.

"What's wrong?"

Camilla stopped and glared at Carly, "What's wrong? Shit Carly! What is it with you and this bloody false innocence? I've been confiding all my thoughts and fears in you, and all the while you were scheming and plotting behind my back!"

Carly raised a hand to stop the tirade of abuse, "Camilla, I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about! We are friends - now, I've done nothing to change that, and I'm not faking anything!"

She shook her head as she dramatically tutted returning to her anger fuelled march, "you are always the perfect one aren't you? Wonderful worker, friend to everyone, and now what? Screwing the boss?"

Carly slumped onto the bed in defeat, "Cam, I don't get it..." Carly hadn't fallen into bed with Jens without a lot of thought, in fact she'd mentally debated it on so many occasions. Now her roommate was berating her for...for what? Suddenly the penny dropped, "you want him yourself is that it?"

Camilla's face was a picture, a mixture of shock, indignation and anger, "who the hell do you think you are? You only walked in here five minutes ago, and you are the one to challenge me?"

Carly took a steadying deep breath, looking up at the ceiling, "will you give me a straight answer?"

Through a very sarcastic scoff, Camilla finally hissed, "he was seeing me...he said he needed some time, but that was all it was a temporary break. I should've known that you'd jump in to my grave."

A million thoughts careered through Carly's brain. At no point had she discussed whether Jens was dating anyone before she'd dived into bed with him, though in the last three weeks that he'd been flirting, chasing her, she'd not seen him with anyone else, and the staff gossip wagon hadn't revealed that he was involved with anyone, let alone Camilla.

Still it was obvious that Camilla was devastated, and Carly felt sorry for that. Sorry but not responsible.

"Cam, I didn't know. And he never mentioned it..."

The hurt was etched in line across the older girl's face as she snapped, "did he even have time as you threw yourself at him? And you DID bloody know! I cried on your shoulder when he cooled things. For god's sake, you held my hand as I waited to see if I was...."

Pregnant...Carly didn't need to hear the final word, Camilla had thought she was having JENS' baby. Lucas wasn't the possible father. Carly suddenly felt sick again, she'd treated him...badly, worse than badly, and it wasn't his fault. He was still having sex with Camilla the night she'd arrived.

Now Carly was confused, there were far too much convolutions to this story and she had work commitments.

"I'm sorry but at no point have you ever mentioned Jens to me, and he's never mentioned you. I'd never deliberately hurt you, and if you think I would, then you really don't know me. I'm working in an hour; maybe we can discuss this later?"

She didn't wait for an answer; instead, she grabbed her uniform and made for the shower.

Mid morning Carly was still struggling to get her head around the revelations, Marta and Rochelle hadn't passed comment yet. But she knew they were concerned. The life and soul of the party no more. Well not today anyway.

"Coffee!" Rochelle announced at just after eleven. "Enough! The temporaries can look after things for a few minutes. Come on Marta!"