Three

Autumn blew into New York, bringing blustering winds and falling leaves with it. I spent a large chunk of that October at Electric Lady studio with the band, putting down new tracks for our record. We drank dozens of pumpkin lattes and always complained about the stomachaches they brought on. It felt good to be with the guys again, away from the glitz and glamour, just making music — The way it all began.

We'd been invited to play a set at a VIP charity show at the end of the month, benefiting New York homeless shelters and food banks. The lineup included artists like Harry Styles and The Strokes, and I nearly cancelled our slot when I saw that The Aubreys were on the bill as well.

The frontman, that Finn kid, had a weird vibe about him—one I didn't like. For months afterward I dissected our short conversation, the way his dark eyes had sheepishly skated from eye contact to my glossy mouth, how his voice was low and gravely when speaking to me. What was it about that exchange that gave me such a knot in my stomach? And why couldn't I stop thinking about it?

But I sure as hell wasn't going to make the band back out after we'd committed, especially not for a charity event, so on that Sunday evening Francis laced me into a modest black gown and I was chauffeured to the Beacon Theater.

After a red carpet appearance, I had a brief encounter with Harry Styles backstage, who I'd never gotten a real chance to talk to but saw at nearly every event, and he was always lovely. He gave me a hurried kiss on each cheek, asked how I was, and sprinted off to change his suit before I could give a complete answer.

The band and I had planned an acoustic set of three songs, with our typical new-age sound dampened down to a folky, modest prospect with steel guitars and string arrangements. After The Strokes came off stage, we stood in places behind the curtain. As it rose, the gentle hum of cellos began to play. I stood at the microphone with my dress trailing behind, Alec and Levi on stools next to me with their instruments. Josh traded his eight piece drum set for a humble cajon.

The crowd at the gala, full of the absolute top in music, film, and fashion, sat around white cloth tables and sipped on cocktails as we played. With each song they applauded loudly, honoring us with a standing ovation at the finale. I looked around, the bright stage light in my eyes, and held onto my bandmate's hands. We took a humble bow.

A stagehand gave me an electrolyte water when I stepped behind the curtain and I took a swig. Across the back of the stage, I immediately recognized the tall man adjusting his guitar strap. Finn was dressed in a brown tweed suit with a dark green tie, fiddling with his ear monitor. He leaned down to talk to a stagehand while my eyes were locked on him, and he must have felt the energy of my stare, because he looked directly at me. My stomach dropped. I adjusted the grip on my water bottle and he gave a playful nod and smile. I managed a small wave.

I found my name stamped on a place card on one of the ten seater gala tables, and sat down across from Anya Taylor Joy, Tom Hiddleston, Bella Hadid, and Oscar Isaac. They all complimented me on the performance, Bella insisting it was "to die for".

Josh and Levi pulled out their chairs and sat down on my right.

"Where's Alec?" I leaned over and asked.

"He's getting a drink I think," Josh replied, tucking a cloth napkin into his collar like a bib. I yanked it out and widened my eyes.

"Dude! Do you know where we are? Put that thing on your lap!" I whispered. He and Levi looked at each other and cracked up. I rolled my eyes.

Someone pulled out the chair on my left - I looked over my shoulder to find Finn from The Aubreys sitting down in it, holding his tie to his ribcage.

Without thinking I blurted out, "Why are you sitting there?"