Chapter 2: The Morana's Name

It is said that when two people are mourning over the same person, it brings you closer. You share memories that you have of that said person and rejoice in them, remembering them for all the virtuous and inadequate actions they did and belief that they shared. Maybe some alcohol is involved to suppress yourself in the pain that follows.

But Simon Petrov and Ramina Smirnov were growing apart from each other. The two of them were drowning in the laughter of the one named Adaline. They couldn't believe that she was gone, but the void inside them was unmistakable.

The Morana was gone.

Simon did not talk to Ramina for the next two days as they made their journey. Where? He did not know. He refused to talk to her; to speak to her, because every time he looked at her, he saw a way that he could have protected his only friend. But he didn't. Because he had given in to the silly workings of his heart. So he kept walking, and he would let his instincts take him to the next location.

How could he have ever thought that he could have had something with the woman walking next to him? She may not even have been human. The white streak in her hair was gone, and that could only be explained as the workings of magic. Who were the Samodivas anyway? He needed answers but he wouldn't ask her for it.

Ramina was done for. She had no reason to live anymore. Her life's purpose was to guide the Morana in terms of danger, to get them to the Hand and let their own powers tell them what they had to do. Now, with her gone? There was no freedom or rhyme in life. But the man walking next to her was keeping her grounded somehow, even if he refused to meet her eyes.

"Simon-"

"I didn't agree to talk to you."

She blinked as she continued to look at the ground that she walked below, another privilege that she had only because of the Morana

She blinked as she continued to look at the ground that she walked below, another privilege that she had only because of the Morana. "Everything will be fine, Simon. You just need to give it time and-"

He scoffed. "You have no right to talk about everything being fine right now. Or ever, for that matter!" He stopped talking to stand right in front of her, causing intimidation to run through her, even a little shiver down her spine. "Why are you still with me?" He asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

She blinked once again, feeling him tower over her on purpose. "What do you mean?"

"You have been lying to me since the beginning. You lied to Ad...." He closed his eyes, even the name hurting today. "There may have been some truth to it, but how can I ever trust you again? Addy is gone! The Fold is still up!" He took a deep breath in, a trick to not cry. "And the Darkling has won yet again." His jaw clenched as he continued walking. "And why am I still here? If it were up to me, I would march straight up to the Little Palace-"

"And what? Kill the Darkling?" Ramina asked. "The castle is surrounded by guards all the time. How would you even get in without an invitation? And you certainly don't have an invitation from the Prince, now, do you?" She sighed, receiving a death glare from him, but she did not care. He could not blame her for what happened. The Morana made their decision and wouldn't have liked two of her trusted ones arguing like this. "I've told you everything I know, Simon. The Morana-"

"Adaline!" He shouted, shocking a bird that was trying to sleep nearby. "Her name....was Adaline Chernoff."

Ramina felt the vibration of his voice resonate through her. She had to deal with this sensitively. She may not have attached herself to anyone as the years went by, but that didn't mean that other people didn't. "Adaline....wanted to tell this to you herself but she did not think that she was strong enough to say goodbye to the only family that she knew. You. Her father. The boy you took care of."

A weight was coming over Simon's heart. Ramina had been listening to him all along when he talked about his life. Maybe all the time he had spewed his heart out to her while Adaline was pushing him to pursue what his heart told him wasn't all for a toss. Maybe Ramina had cared, even if that had caused her to lie. But he couldn't go soft now. He had enough of a void to deal with.

"Look. I'm sorry that we are arguing right now. I'm sorry that I've been walking with you for the past two days with no destination in mind. But I'm not sorry for my actions." She faced him completely but he was still looking straight ahead. "I'm not sorry that I hid the truth until it was the right time. But," she inhaled sharply. "I am sorry for letting her leave without saying goodbye to you." He slowly turned his head. "You needed closure. I see that. But she knew you well enough to let you go without causing you more pain. What your heart is making you feel right now? That's because of love. She would want you to keep it going."

Simon wanted to block her voice out and he wished he was not entirely human to achieve that

Simon wanted to block her voice out and he wished he was not entirely human to achieve that. If he was Grisha, he wouldn't hesitate to burn the palace to the ground for what they did to Addy. He would fight for her even if she couldn't do it herself, because he had been her big brother all along. But even if he was older to her by age, she would always be his elder sister; the one who would stop him from getting hurt.

But she wasn't here anymore.

Adaline Chernoff was gone.

"Yeah, well, she did not know me as well as she claimed to then," said Simon. "I would have liked to have heard this in her own voice."

And he continued walking without another word or look behind.

*****

Hey everyone! Oof 1K already?
I haven't written anything yet *cries*
Ya'll are the best!

I just wanted to say that my Board exams are starting, which is something like SATs except I have to write it thrice. This is my second time. So updates will be very irregular. Thank you for all the patience you've had for this story. 

All I can say is that this isn't the end of Adaline's story. I love how much that one little fanfic has impacted you. It truly means a lot!