xii

╰─▸ ❝ @[chapter twelve] has

. . . . logged on

ROSE DIDN'T KNOW WHY SHE STILL KEPT HER JOB ON THE CORNER. She could completely retire for the season and just head straight to the peep show, but she didn't have a shift every night and she needed all the money she could get right now. Her tuition fees were coming up so she could continue her studies for the semester and she couldn't take out another loan.

Rose and the other girls were huddled up together as the snow fell upon them, trying to keep warm as much as possible until they were picked off. The snow had layered up overnight, maybe a few inches deep now. They all wore high heel boots, anything exposing skin would've undoubtedly given them hypothermia.

Rose remained nearly completely silent while the others chattered softly. She just watched the wispy white clouds of smoke left her with each shuttering breath she took. She'd rather be anywhere but here, staring at the road, expecting Namjoon to come at any moment now.

No- she didn't want him. No matter how nice it was when he let all the girls pile into his car to get warm. They all thanked him with a kiss on the cheek, leaving the man blushing in the front seat.

Almost as if she had conjured it through manifestation, a car rolled up in front of them, though, it wasn't Namjoon's silver Cadillac. It was just a familiar red car, the car she saw every day when she matched her way back home from the subway station.

Her landlord.

He had said that he would be coming to visit her.

The tinted window rolled down slowly and out poke his nasty little head. "Rosey. I said I'd come visit you!" There he was with that light-hearted voice of his, though she could see the malice underneath. She couldn't refuse him now. He was a paying customer.

"Be safe, babe." Candy kissed her cheek softly as Rose made her way over. She might as well give him what he wants so he'll stop harassing her. It'll be quick, maybe a little painful, but nothing she hasn't dealt with before.

She walked around the front of the car, squinting against the aggressive headlights. The moment she opened the door to the car, her nose was assaulted by the smell of cigarettes and booze. Weird, unidentified stains cover the fabric of the seat, making her hesitate to sit down.

But she did. She closed the door behind her and kept her head down. He slid his hand over her thigh, grinning. "You've been such a teasing little bitch all these months." He finally had her in his clutches. Rose moved away instinctually. Her feign smile wasn't put on display. She couldn't find it within herself to put it on.

This didn't make him happy. His smile fell from his lips as he shoved the gearshift into drive and took off down the dark road.

They didn't drive for long. He had taken her to an alley down a dark street and out the car into drive. Rose flinched when he slammed his door shut and marched around the car to grab her. She had no time to get out and run. With heels on and in the snow, she wouldn't get very far before he caught her.