chapter 4

Toni and Martha were the last to arrive at their lunch table.

Ever since that one lunch that had occurred about a week ago, Martha had kept inviting Shelby to come sit with them. She didn't mind having to put up with Toni. And the others didn't seem to mind her presence as long as Andrew didn't come along, which she didn't really mind. After spending a few lunches with them, Shelby found she actually got along with everyone, Toni being the exception. So she usually accepted, much to Andrew's dismay.

Shelby paled as she caught the last half of Martha's sentence as they approached. "-doesn't mean you have to go looking for the wolf."

"What wolf?" Nora asked, who'd apparently also overheard.

Oh Lord. Why couldn't Toni keep that particular detail to herself and just move on. If her father were to somehow hear of it...

"Remember the blizzard?" Toni sat down. She had barely glanced at Shelby since arriving and proceeded to ignore her presence at the table like she'd done ever since that first lunch. Not that Shelby minded. Sitting with these people was actually enjoyable when her and Toni weren't at each other's throats. Well, except for right now.

"The one your stupid ass recklessly got lost in, miraculously not freezing to death?" Rachel asked. "I sure do."

Toni rolled her eyes. "Well, the reason I didn't 'freeze to death' is because this wolf kept me warm."

Toni, please, shut up.

Shelby pursed her lips and tried her best not to glare daggers at her, because that definitely wouldn't be suspicious.

Fatin burst out laughing and Dot joined in. Leah raised her eyebrows with an amused expression. Rachel looked just about done. And Nora looked up from her meal, curious.

Toni glared at them. She leant back, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Wait, you're serious?" Fatin asked, her laughter dying down.

"Yeah, I sat down and kinda fell asleep."

"What the hell dude? Do you have a death wish or something?" Dot looked actually angry.

"What? No. I was cold and tired. I was just going to sit down for a minute, but I accidentally fell asleep."

Dot opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Instead she shook her head disapprovingly.

"Anyway, when I woke up, there was a big wolf lying against me."

"And you think this was real and not just a dream or a hallucination because...?" Fatin inquired.

"I wasn't cold anymore and-"

"Or you were hypothermic."

"Yes, but-"

"I think it's obvious what actually h-"

"Will you let me finish?" Toni was visibly getting fed up with her friends' antics. "After I woke up, she led me to Martha's."

"Or you hallucinated the wolf guiding you, while actually it was your subconscious." Nora put in.

At least no one was taking her seriously. That somewhat eased Shelby's mind.

Toni closed her eyes and let out a sigh of frustration.

"How would it even know to bring you there, of all places?" Rachel asked.

Toni shrugged. "I don't know. She just did. Don't wolves have an enhanced sense of smell? Maybe she followed my scent or something."

"How'd you know it's a she?" Dot asked between bites of her sandwich.