forty two

[THIRD PERSON POV]

"Have you landed?" Wanda's voice echoed through the phone.

"Yes mum." Davina laughed in response. "I'm on my way to the compound now Wanda, I told you, there's no need to call me."

She heard the Maximoff girl sigh sarcastically over the phone. "Well I want to know where my future god-son is at all times." Wanda exclaimed. "Oh, and you too of course dear."

"Wanda Maximoff! I can't be more than four weeks pregnant! I haven't told Bucky, we don't know if it's a boy or a girl, and I'm on the verge of having a panic attack! I'm not even showing yet Wan!" Davina burst out.

"I'm just excited!" Wanda yelled.

"Yeah! I've noticed. I'm about to go through a tunnel, i'll call you later, bye Wan Wan." Davina smiled, hanging up before her best friend got the chance to announce that there weren't any tunnels from the airport to the compound.

She threw her phone on the seat next to her and gripped the wheel with both hands tightly, her knuckles beginning to turn a sickly white colour.

Davina's mind was racing, as per usual. She didn't know how to tell Bucky, she didn't really want to tell him. Though she knew that he'd find out soon enough if she didn't break the news to him first.

"Shit." She whispered, pulling into the compounds carpark. The girl sat silently in the car for a few moments, deciding on her best course of action. 

The carparks lights were bright, streaming right into her face. The Penton girl felt as if she would have a seizure if she didn't get out soon. 

Taking in a heavy breath, she climbed out of the car and dragged her bag towards the elevator, preparing herself for what was to come.

"Welcome back Miss Penton." JARVIS announced, causing the girl to squirm uncomfortably. The AI always made her feel a little uneasy, she didn't know how Tony lived with it.

"Fourth floor please JARVIS." Davina breathed, her hand tightening around the straps of her duffle bag.

The elevator started to move upwards, she felt as if there was a huge pit in her stomach, slowly being filled with dirt, weighing her down. The doors opened sooner than she hoped, and she was faced with Clint, who seemed to be standing exactly where she left him.

"Vinnie! Hey." He grunted, sipping his herbal tea.

"He Clint." She smiled as he brought her into a tight hug. She allowed herself to relax, convincing her mind that everything would turn out okay, and there was nothing to worry about.

She pulled away from Clint, readjusting her grip on the duffle bag and allowed her gaze to travel around the room. "Where is everyone?" She mumbled out her question.

Clint shrugged lamely. "You mean where's Barnes? One armed bandits been moping around the compound ever since you left. Thank God your back, can't stand that man.. No offence."

"None taken." She breathed, allowing a small smile to appear on her face. "Steve and Sam?"

He shrugged again. "They've been keeping themselves busy, both in the training room most hours of the day. If i'm being honest, it's quite awkward without you here. Your like the link, keeping everyone together."

Davina cocked her head to the side slightly. "Thanks... I think." She chuckled. 

The pair stood in a comfortable silence for a moment. "I-I'm gonna go find my macho man." She mumbled, dragging her duffle down the hallway towards her room.

"You do that!" He yelled from behind her, returning his attention to his special tea.

After seeing Clint, she felt as if a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders. He hadn't noticed anything different, though she was concerned that Bucky would do a much better job at reading her expression.

Her thoughts became a reality as soon as she walked into her bedroom. Bucky was sprawled out in a chair, reading her favourite book. His eyes snapped up to her instantly and his smile was replaced with a concerned frown.

"Hey Buck-"

"What's happened?" He questioned, standing up and strolling closer to her.

She stopped herself from flinching back as the back of his hand rose up to her face and pressed against her forehead, feeling for her temperature.

"What do you mean?" She asked innocently.

"You seem different.. You look-"

"Don't say tired. Your 104 years should have taught you to never tell a girl she looks tired." She smiled, the words tumbling from her mouth.

He smiled weakly and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, bringing her exhausted body closer to his. She instantly melted into his arms, dropping her duffle bag to the floor and snaking her arms around his waist, her head pressed against his chest.

She felt him bring one of his hands up to hold the back of her head, stroking her hair slowly with his fingers, an action he knew melted her heart.

The pair stayed like this silently for a few minutes, without pulling away, Bucky leant his face closer to her ear and whispered a few words. "Are you ready to tell me what's wrong now?"

He felt her body stiffen at his words, and pull away from him slightly. "Nothing.. Wrong." She mumbled, sitting herself down on the bed, Bucky moving to sit across from her so they could face each other. "Well.. I don't know if it's wrong." She whispered.

He moved closer to her, leaning against the bed frame and pulling her on top of him. She had one leg on either side of his body, limply straddling him. His hands found her hips, doodling patterns onto her skin with his fingers.

She flung her arms around his neck and buried her face into the crook of his neck, bringing her body closer to his.

"Woah woah, doll what's the matter. Please, you can talk to me.." He spoke gently wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her further onto his lap.

"Bucky... Somethings happened.. And I don't know what to do." She whispered, her voice trembling. The girl brought her head away from his neck so she could face him.

He moved his hands to hold the sides of her waist. "Vina, what ever's going on, you can tell me."

"James..." Her voice shook terribly as she croaked out his name, preparing herself for the words that were about to leave her mouth.

"I'm pregnant James."

Word Count : 1101

HAH - SORRY BABES! THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST ANNOYING CLIFF HANGER IN THE WORLD- BUT I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF BAHAHAHAH