Chapter 6

"We are looking at what could possibly be the biggest scandal of the century, Sam," Hancock sighed the evening before the scheduled trial of the soldiers responsible for what had come to be called The Boston Massacre. It was going to be one hell of a day tomorrow and both of them could not help but pity John Adams. He would emerge from this with a slight prickle from everyone involved. Sam wanted to support him, but his duty was first, and always, to Boston.

        Sam passed a hand over his face darkly and gazed down into his mug of beer absently. He did not want to think about how John would be received after this trial. True, most knew why he was doing it. John was a fair and honest man, no doubt a little loud and obnoxious in most polite settings, but he never set out to intentionally hurt anyone. His fairness meant that he was going to fight for those men in a court turned lop-sidedly against them. For that, Sam had to admire him. Even if he was defending a bunch of murderers. "God help my cousin."

                ***

        Joe sat at his desk, reviewing appointments and such for tomorrow from several frequent patients when a knock at his door disturbed him from his thoughts. When he had opened it, he found Nathaniel, anxiously supporting a young, clearly new, soldier. "Ah, he... I think he may have a fever. I am sorry for disturbing you, Doctor Warren, but... I am afraid to take him anywhere else..."

        Joe eyed the boy quietly and stepped aside. Even he could not help but feel slight resentment towards the British officers, yet he could not take that out on Nathaniel and this boy, who looked only a few years older than his own sons. "Why did he not go back to his barracks?"

        "Walk through Boston alone after what happened? I cannot blame him, Doctor, for he was liable to get mugged..." Nathaniel quickly shut his mouth upon noticing Joe's unusually cold demeanor and stood quietly by the young man that he had laid carefully on the table.

        Joe examined him and confirmed Nathaniel's theory. "The fever is not high, but coupled with stress and lack of sleep it caused the passing out. He just needs rest," Joe said coolly as he finished his assessment.

        Joseph was sitting at the top of the steps and had since started to come down upon noticing Nathaniel. Nathaniel smiled up at him, but Joseph only stared at him. "Go away."

        Joe wheeled around, "Joseph!"

        "He's one of them!" Joseph retorted and looked straight to Nathaniel, "Murderer!"

        Joe glanced to Nathaniel as Joseph ran back into his room. the look of pure pain on the young man's face made his own heart soften. He looked as if he had been hit with a club straight in the stomach. "Nathaniel..."

        Nathaniel did not stop to listen to a single word Joe was attempting to say, "I... I am sorry. I have caused a disruption in your home and I can see that my presence is unwelcome."

        "Nathaniel, wait-!"

     Nathaniel had replaced his hat and had already hefted the still unconscious boy onto his shoulder, "I shall not bother you again. Good night, Doctor Warren." He vanished onto the street before Joe could come up with anything comforting to say.

                ***

        "And was it true that you were standing in front of your men, Captain?"

        "That it was, sir, yes."

        "Now, why would the Captain have given the order to fire if he had been standing in front of his men? Does that seem prudent to you, gentlemen?"