What comes next?

"I'm sorry," Hector said. "For being so skittish." 

No one spoke for a while. Hector's skittishness had nearly gotten them all killed, and yet the Baudelaires could not bring themselves to feel angry at him. He had cooked them good food, and listened to them, and found Isadora's couplet. More than anything, they felt disappointed that another good person could be so passive.

"Baudelaires, I'm sorry to ask something of you so soon, but tonight I'm going to return to the village to try and rescue the Quagmires. It would be best if you came," said Jacques.

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny looked at one another. Of course it wasn't safe to sneak into a village where everyone thought they should burn at the stake, and they had learned how unsafe it could be last night. But the Quagmires needed their help.

"We'll do it," Violet said. 

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny all felt anxious as they walked into the Village of Fowl Devotees. They did not talk on the way, trying to be as quiet as possible, but they gripped each other's hands tightly, almost communicating without words. The fountain seemed even bigger and more depressing than before, knowing their friends could be inside. 

"How are we going to get up there?" asked Violet. 

Jacques removed his jacket and placed it by the side of the fountain. "The statue is tall, but it's sturdy."
"We're going to climb up?" Klaus guessed. 

"Exactly." 

"It sounds difficult," said Violet. No one spoke, but Sunny looked up at her and kissed Violet's cheek. 

Difficult was an understatement. They took some shaky steps onto the statue. It was an awkward shape to hang on and the steady stream of water pouring on their heads didn't help. 

Though Jacques was only a few feet below, it felt as though he were miles away. "It opens through the eye!" 

"Hang in there!" Violet said, and hung to the beak with one hand, trying to reach the eye with the other. Her hand found her siblings', and they managed to reach the metal face. 

With a strong pull, hearts racing, they opened the eye of the bird then half jumped, half fell to the ground. At first, they couldn't tell whether the Quagmires were there or not, it was so dark and wet. 

But as the Baudelaires' eyes adjusted, it became clear. Seeing all the water, but not their friends, was almost more than they could bear. "They're gone," Klaus said quietly. 

"Count Olaf must have taken them," said Violet. The sound of the water was so loud they couldn't hear anything else, and the Baudelaires half expected to see Olaf behind them, for another capture. But other than the crows and Jacques, they were alone. They stood in disappointed silence for what felt like the hundredth time. 

Before they could feel hopeless, however, Jacques turned to them with a comforting smile. "I expected as much," he said. "Baudelaires, you did wonderfully. Please come with me, we should leave as soon as possible." 

"But we failed," said Klaus.

"No," said Jacques, slipping his torn coat on the soaking Baudelaires, who huddled together so all three could wear it at the same time.  The exhausted and upset siblings cried silently on their way back. If Jacques noticed, he did not show it.

As they passed by Nevermore Tree for the last time, the Baudelaires were surprised that Hector was there when they returned. "Have you been here all this time?" asked Klaus. 

"No," said Hector. "I went home and I made breakfast." He gestured to four bowls laid out in front of him, one for him and one for each child. Gratefully the children sat down beside him and ate their breakfast. It was delicious.

"What will you do next?" asked Violet. 

Hector shrugged. "Maybe I could find another crew to join me on my hot air mobile home. Maybe I'll stay here. I'll miss you three." 

"Miss you too," Sunny said.

The Baudelaires all hugged Hector together, and Hector hugged them back. They said one final goodbye and opened the door of the car. 

Jacques was already there, waiting for them. It was a tight fit, Sunny had to sit on Klaus's lap. Still, after a minute or two they managed to get everyone in the car somewhat comfortably. 

Jacques gave them one more quiet smile, then adjusted the rearview mirror. "You don't know how long we've been looking for you. You must have thousands of questions, Baudelaires. I hope this next chapter in your life can answer a few of them." With that, Jacques started the car and began driving away from the village.

The Baudelaires watched the unchanging plains from the windows, wondering what their story would bring them next.