I

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 | Wildling 

{ Aoife }

✧✦✧

𝕮old winters air had been all that Aoife had known for as long as she could remember. She was born to the freezing ice and snow of the North, growing up in the tundra beyond the wall, and so it would stay until her father deemed it a good time to go south, past the Wall and into the land where he came from. So, for now, Aoife had to cope with the cold climate.

She rolled in her furs, burrowing deeper into the warmth that it provided as she procrastinated waking for the day ahead. Aoife knew what it would entail, and what she'd be asked to do, and she did not want to deal with arguing people for the rest of her day. Her father wished for her to sit with him, to learn and listen, which she despised.

"Aoife?" The teenager opened one eye at the call of her name, before rolling over to try and ignore it all. "Aoife, are you awake?"

"I am now." She growled, looking over her shoulder at the door as her father made his appearance, pushing the tent flaps open and entering into his daughter's tent. Aoife shivered at the feeling of cold air on her skin, whining as the tent flap was closed once more and her father's hulking figure crouched beside her. "What?"

"Good morning," He smiled as Aoife glared. Mance Rayder had no concept of sleeping in, having been raised to start the day far too early in the morning. He was trying to instil the same concept into his daughter, though she was not delighted by the idea. "I came to see if you were awake."

"I am still sleeping."

"I see I am talking to your conscience then," Mance teased, tucking the furs tighter around Aoife. "You are needed."

"No."

"You are. Tormund wishes to train with you."

"No." Mance rolled his eyes at his daughter's stubbornness, before picking her hatchets up from where they lay abandoned on the floor and dropping them on his daughter's stomach. She groaned at the feeling of the metal, opening her eyes to glare at her father once more, though he paid it little heed.

"Up, Aoife, or I will send Tormund to come and wake you and gods know that he will not be as nice as I am." Aoife scowled, for she knew that was true. Tormund had no concept of gentleness or niceties, so if he walked into Aoife's tent and found her still asleep, the consequences would be harsh.

"I am getting up, you win." Mance chuckled, before exiting the tent and letting yet another blast of cold air in as Aoife whined. After much huffing and puffing, Aoife pulled herself out of bed, yanking on thick under layers before a pair of breeches and thick fur coat. She added mittens and her boots, before picking her hatchets and stomping outside.

She managed to catch Tormund before he could storm into her tent, a foul glare plastered on both their faces.

"Where were you this morning?"

"I was sleeping. Why are you making me wake up at such a primitive time?" Aoife complained as Tormund pulled a face.

"The sun is up, so we must train." He lead her through the encampment, past the giants and into a large, clear area that Tormund had snagged for them to train in. "I do not understand why you sleep so much."

"I do not understand why you sleep so little. It is unnatural," Aoife replied, swinging her hatchets around her hands to try and warm her cold muscles up once more. "You are unnatural."

"Thank you."

"It was not a compliment." Aoife glared, before rocking onto her heels. "Can I eat first or are we training?"

"Training!" Tormund snapped, pulling an axe from his back as he glared at her in return. "You could have eaten if you had woken up earlier."

Aoife couldn't think of an adequate response, settling for pursing her lips and sticking her tongue out instead. Tormund rolled his eyes, far too used to Aoife's dramatic ways, and rolled his shoulders out.

"Alright, let us see how you are." He gave her no time to prepare herself, lunging at her at full speed as Aoife woke herself up enough to begin to counter his attacks. 

✧✦✧

They only stopped after Tormund grew bored of Aoife's complaints about being tired and hungry, finding that they were too annoying even for him to deal with. When they did, Aoife was dripping with sweat, her face red from exertion as she rubbed her hatchets free of snow and ice, cleaning them gently, and sheathed them on her hips once more.

"You are getting better but you need to be more aware of your surroundings." Tormund chastised, both of them meandering towards the main tent that her father used. "You were forgetting your left side."

"I would be better if I were more awake."

"You are not always going to have a good night's sleep before a battle. You have to be prepared for everything." Aoife nodded, but rolled her eyes all the same.

"I do not like training with you. Your far too different from your normal self, it is jarring." Aoife complained as Tormund laughed, a smile finally dawning on his face. This was more normal than the grouchy man that had bumped into her. "This is why everyone is worried for your soul. It seems split."

"My soul is fine and full!" Tormund grinned. "Now, we eat and you become your normal self again instead of this grumpy monster."

"Watch it." Aoife warned, though there was little malice in her words. "I shall kill you."

"You could not even if you tried, but it is sweet you think so." Tormund held the tent flap open for her as they entered inside. Only her father was there, two large plates of food beside him. "Mance."

"Father." Aoife leant over his shoulder, grabbing the largest portion and pulling her gloves off.

"How was training?" Mance watched the pair, who were devouring their food as swiftly as they could.

"It was fine. I was good." Aoife managed to get out between mouthfuls. "Almost took Tormund's beard off, though that might have been an improvement."

"It was close." Tormund agreed, taking a sip of whatever was in the jug next to him. "She is good."

"Course I am." Mance cocked an eyebrow, a small smile on his face as the pair began to argue once more. It wouldn't be a normal day if Aoife and Tormund were not bickering between themselves like they were still mere children. 

Mance filled their plates up whilst they were bickering, shaking his head as they continued to argue and glare at each other whilst taking large bites of their food. 

Hiya,

It's been so long, but because Gloria and Angela are now into Season Three, this book can begin to get updates!! YAY! Anyway, Aoife is a little overdramatic and her and Tormund are like big brother, little sibling vibes which is gonna be funny. anyway, enjoy.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx