On the Wing

• Dedicated to Adam Young

 N/A This story can also be found here: http://www.wattpad.com/story/3749898-on-the-wing

He sat with his back facing the wall. One leg was crossed over the other, and his hands rested in his lap. A piece of paper was curled in a cage of his fingers. It was a note that he had kept for months. It always made him smile, and at the same time, made tears swell in his eyes. It was a bittersweet remembrance of a time that was long gone and passed away. He sighed, and carefully folded the note along its creases until it was just a small square. Then he stood, and set the parchment on the fireplace mantel. On cold Winter nights like this, it was hard not to turn to memories for comfort. The loneliness in the little forest home was deafening. All that used to be felt like a dream that he could neither chase nor grasp. So the coldest, lonely nights were spent awake. He’d lose himself in the memories, reliving them with vivid clarity. 

There she was, smiling, and laughing. Lantern light shone on her hair, lighting up every single one of her golden highlights. He could feel the smile evolve on his face as he watched her, spinning and twirling to her favorite song. 

"Adam, come dance with me!" She laughed, glowing with happiness. She was the picture of perfection, her hazel eyes smiling with her lips. She was wearing a violet sundress that just came down to her knees. It flared dramatically around her as she spun, singing mirthfully. He watched her without answering. "Please..." She stopped just a couple feet away, and held out a soft, beautiful hand. "Just this time." She batted her full, dark eyelashes and his heart gave in to her irresistible pull. 

"Okay." He smiled, and stood up, noticing the way her eyes sparkled when she got what she wanted. He put his hand in hers, admiring the silky smoothness of her palm, compared to the roughness of his own musically talented hands. She giggled at him, and started to dance. The way she moved with the song moved him, and he found himself unable to do anything other than... dance. Seaside air drifted to them, and brushed past several colorfully lit lanterns, which hung in the outside air. Distantly, the sea drifting in and out could be heard. The sound set an elegant backdrop to every song that was played. The atmosphere was... magical. 

 He shook his head, clearing his thoughts. Adam decided that he wasn't going to spend another evening living in that night. He would do something other than daydream. But how could he when that past was such a wonderful, beautiful place? For some people, Reality might be a lovely place, but he wouldn't want to live there. Not his reality, anyway. His life in the mountains was so dull and dreary sometimes. That weekend in the late Summer had been lived by someone else, as far as he was concerned. She probably didn't even think about him anymore. After all, with her charm and grace... She had most likely won some lad’s heart by now.

Though no sound was made, the silence seemed broken as he stood up. Slowly, he walked to his small, meticulously clean kitchen and stepped to the cupboard. He withdrew a coffee cup that had colorful graphics on it and cursive lettering spelling out 'Hudson Bay'. That was where he first met her. A year later, when they met again, something new blossomed between them. A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, and he stepped to the side, in front of the sink. With a flip of the faucet the porcelain cup was quickly filled with water. He popped the cup in his microwave and hit the 'beverage' button. The item hummed to life, and he walked away from it, back to the living room where he spent his life remembering. There was a book on the coffee table, with a blue bookmark placed at the second page. Perhaps he could be normal for the evening and just... Relax. Maybe call a friend, or something.

He spent a long moment standing in one place, thinking. Then there was a quiet 'beep' from the kitchen, and he turned around and returned to the microwave. Removing the steaming cup of water, he sat it down and opened a small box that was sitting on the counter. Within were several assorted tea bags. He grabbed a random one, and dunked it in the water. Then, returning to the living room, he sat down, opened the book, and began to read.