Chapter 5

That nights game was a game of hearts, playing with the heart and minds of others was Echo's specialty. She hadn't been expecting a game of hearts, however she was ready for any game she had to play. The game was tag, she stood with three men she'd never met before, and a woman, Echo noticed they all seemed to know each other and she decided to take this as an advantage.
She picked up the collar they were supposed to place on their necks and put it on with a smirk, "Do you think this is funny?" The blonde male asked her in frustration, as he kept glancing at the tv screen that was currently reciting the rules. Echo smiled at the man sweetly, "I think it's gonna be entertaining," she said with a chuckle. She picked up the machete that sat on the white round table with all the other weapons. The male continued to look at her in disbelief, the wolf was announced as the male with longer hair, whom held a nerdy sort of look but was also slightly cute, in an innocent way.
Echo also took this as an advantage, he seemed naive, someone who was easy to manipulate. She cocked her head to the side as she watched the four panic, looking between each other and swapping who the wolf was. It landed on Echo last and she took this opportunity to run, she knew only one could survive, and it had to be the wolf.
She heard the others shouting after her as she entered a room that looked similar to the outdoors, trees climbed the walls in all directions, with greenery as far as the eye could see. It was fake, but the smell was earthy and reminded her of simpler times. She sighed and continued running, listening to the other voices that shouted into her headset.
She sat behind a tree surrounded by bushes in the far corner of the room, the footsteps that were chasing her were now close but she knew her presence wasn't known.
"Where'd she go?" She heard one of them whisper in disbelief, she knew they saw her as fragile, which was once again another advantage she had. People assumed she couldn't handle her own until they actually looked at her for what she was, scars and all. She could kill a man with her bare hands and eat a steak afterwards, this world wasn't one to be sensitive and think about others, this was a world of survival and this was a game of hearts.
"You know, there's a way for four of us could make it out of this together." Echo spoke into the microphone that sat near her lips, an idea dawned on her, and she knew it would take some convincing but she wanted the strongest to live.
"How?" A desperate voice spoke back with a cry, she smirked to herself at this and shrugged even though they couldn't see her. "If we kill the wolf, the lambs can survive." She told them, and yes she knew she was the wolf and that would now make her a target for more than just her eyes, it would make her a target for death.
"Why would you tell us that? You're the wolf?" Another voice spoke into her ears in confusion, Echo laughed softly, "We make the other girl the wolf and kill her." She said simply, and she listened as the other woman cried out with pleas for them not to listen to her. The others were silent for a moment as if actually pondering the offer Echo presented.
"She's our friend, why would we do that?" Another voice asked that Echo recognized as the nerdy one. Echo smiled to herself and looked down at the machete in her hands, and gripped it tightly. "Because if you don't, I'll just have to kill you all."
The blonde laughed in disbelief, he didn't think a woman of her size had the ability to take on the four of them, but he was wrong. Echo trained her entire life for moments like these, she was more than prepared to take them all out if the moment arises. Echo laughed into the mic with him, allowing the humor to settle in before she spoke, "You can underestimate me all you want but, I haven't survived for six months in this shit hole without the ability to murder-" she started, but paused to lick her dry chapped lips.
"The choice is yours, I'm the wolf, and if you find me without the right answer; you will die." She said so menacingly, she got goosebumps, she wasn't aware that's what she sounded like when she threatened someone, but the quiet room allowed for her to actually listen to the words that escaped her lips.
She listened into the headset as they all debated the fate and they decided unanimously that they would fight. Echo shrugged to herself with indifference, if that's how they wanted to play this game out, then so be it. She stood up from her hiding spot and walked out of the trees to find the nerdy man alone and looking around for her.
She whistled softly and grinned as the male locked eyes on her, they widened slightly before he realized it was her and he tried to appear confident as he ran at her full speed with every intention to stab her. Echo watched his feet so she could anticipate his next move without locking eyes with him. He swung his knife at her in attempt to land a blow at her arm, she jumped back and grinned widely before licking her lips. She ran around the man and hit him in the head with the back of her machete, knocking him to the ground. She hit him one more time and successfully knocked him out, she was caught off guard when a hand reached around her throat, pulling her off of the male.
She craned her neck to see long black hair that belonged to the female she wanted to kill in the first place. Echo laughed loudly before pulling the woman's arms and pulling her body over her back and onto the floor. The woman groaned in pain but recovered quickly, she picked up the screwdriver she was using as a weapon and stabbed Echo in the side.
Echo cried out in pain before backhanding the woman she was sitting on top of, she made the mistake of locking eyes with the woman, making her the wolf now. Echo grinned at this, her plan playing out exactly how she wanted it too.
She carefully pulled the screwdriver out of her side and laughed, "That was a big mistake, pretty." Echo threatened the girl and spit on her. The woman cried as she wiped her face of Echos bodily fluids, "Fuck you." The woman spit back, Echo smirked and grabbed her machete and swung it back as if she was going to stab the woman in the face but stopped. "Anything you want to say before you die?" Echo asked her, voice soft and void of any emotion as she cocked her head to the side in a mock innocent manner. The woman groaned, "Go. To. Hell." She spat, Echo giggled and took the machete and slit her throat.
"Game over, Lambs win. You now have a 7 day visa." The robotic voice spoke over the speakers, Echo smiled and stood up. She didn't run into the other two males when she exited the arena, she suspected they were helping their friend who was passed out and mourning the death of their other friend. Echo held her side as she walked to the car that would soon lead her to treatment, blood soaking her hand.
She climbed into the truck and winced as pain spread up her side, she bit her lip and started the engine and head towards the beach.
____________________________________