The Journey

TW: CHARACTER DEATH, clowns/circus, trauma

~~~

The sun was above them, blazing down mercilessly on the sailboat where the two of them resided. The silence between them was unbearable.

"So. May I ask some questions?" Azriel spoke, just wanting this awkward situation to end.

"Sure? Depends on the questions though." Ambrose replied, looking at the different scars, cuts, and tattoos scattered across his body. Each one had its own story after all.

"Okay, first question. Why were you so- how do I say it- intrigued by my hand?" Curiosity filled its voice. There hadn't been a single person or host that has looked at its strange body like that. It was always disgust or just nothing. But Ambrose? He was different.

"Well, it's mainly just because I've never really seen anyone like you. It's cool." he replied, a faint smile appearing on his face.

"Well, I'm glad someone thinks that. You're the first person to actually say that."

"Am I? I'd honestly expect more people to be intrigued."

"Yeah, it's a first... okay uhm, next question, then one or two more."

"Ask away."

"What made you choose to travel around? You're from such a high-powered family, it just doesn't make much sense." it asked, giving reason to why it was so curious.

"Well, I travel for a few reasons, to be honest. My main reason, though, is because I just got bored of staying in my town. Yeah it means a lot to me, but I wanted to do more. After all, I'm a showman, and circuses are usually traveling, not just sitting in town. That's another reason. My shows were getting less popular, the town's folk had already seen all of our tricks and stunts. Right now, though, I've let them have long break from work. Our last show was a big one, they all deserve the time off, heh. Third reason why I travel is just because I've wanted to see the world since I was a young boy. That's really it I guess."

"Oh, cool. Okay, next question. How did you die?" it asked, immediately regretting it, seeing the light leave Ambrose's eyes. "You don't have to answer that, I'm sorry if that's too personal-"

"No, it's fine. I can answer. Just not the best memories, y'know?" He shifted in his spot.

So. This happened almost three years ago...

It was a calm afternoon, and my father and I were traveling through a town. I was 18 at the time. We were outsiders, fugitives, in this town. Reason being? It was a rival town to ours. Though, the last thing we expected was to be arrested just for passing through...

An unfamiliar voice shouted angrily out from behind us, telling us to stop. When we turned around, we saw three people; two guards and the ruler of the town.

My father replied in a nice tone, but the woman just ordered one of the guards to tackle him down. Then, she ordered the other to tackle me. My father didn't fight back. But I had to, I couldn't just give in. In the end, though, the guard knocked me unconscious.

When I woke, I was tied up. Hand cuffs held my hands together, while my ankles were wrapped with rope. When I looked up, I saw my father being dragged over forcefully to a stage. There was a guillotine on it. Crowds surrounded us, all cheering to see what happens next.
I still have that memory burned in my head...

"I declare that Baron Hendrix and his son, Ambrose Hendrix, both be executed publicly after trespassing on enemy lands! We shall not stand for your tyranny in our village. Let the execution begin!" she shouted; she was already on the stage, standing next to a hooded person.