Chapter Two

Death. It's a topic that humans can't help but be drawn to. They can't help but ask what happens after death? Each time a murder comes in the paper, they scramble to it like it's good news, something to get their minds off the boring lives they live. Death, yes, death is a topic that humans can't help but love.

And currently, as [Y/N] stared at the newspaper with wide eyes, the human in her asked why? The big bold letters of a 'CHILD MURDERED' were printed, a picture of a woman holding a baby on the front page. Maybe she was broken. Because she didn't like death, in fact, she hated it more than anything in the world. Each time she saw the word murder or death, her mind flickered back to the many times she was a murderer herself.

"My my- it's so horrible, isn't it?" A young woman who was a simple customer of the shop sighed, looking over her shoulder with a deep frown. "Why do all the psychos have to go after the innocent ones? It was just a baby after all."

Again, it was that question why.

Even though she was a murderer herself, she could even be a serial killer considering the many lives she took in the old days. She didn't understand why people enjoyed killing—well, killing the less innocent ones. There was a satisfaction, a grim satisfaction, to taking bad guys from the planet.. but those who haven't done horrible wrong? A baby, who yet doesn't know it's own name?

I don't understand- not one bit.

"It is quite sad." [Y/N] hummed, straightening her back and putting the newspaper back down on the table. She turned and a small smile tilted at her lips even in the damp atmosphere. "But what can I do for you ma'am? Are you here to buy coffee beans, a pastry? Or are you dining today?"

Two days have passed since that nerve wracking letter from Irene and so far, nothing has been out of place. Not the way people talk, not the people who walk past her on the streets, not the customers or Miss Smith. Everything has been normal, but that made her more nervous. It felt like she was waiting for a clown to pop out and scare her.

The woman flushed and pressed her palm to her cheek. "Oh! Well, I came here to dine. Do you mind being my waiter, sir?"

Was it uncomfortable for people to call her sir when she wasn't one? No, she was used to it by now. She didn't correct them. That would just make it awkward and well.. as she said once before, she prefers hiding away her femininity.

[Y/N]'s pearly white teeth flashed and she nodded. Her voice was sweet and kind, not an ounce of anything bad, "Of course, miss. Please sit down wherever you like and I will be right with you."

The woman blinked. A sheepish and shy expression took hold of her face and she didn't let her hand fall down from her cheek, swooning for her smile and looks. It was like she was in a daydream. "Oh! Is it alright if I tell you what I want already?"

"Yes, it is quite alright." She responded, raising her brows.

She played a game inside her head. It was something she always does with new customers. It was a game she called "What will they want?" She named off the many pastries inside her head; crumpets? Scones? Biscuits? Donuts? A cake of some sort? Or maybe does she just want a coffee? Maybe some tea? The shop didn't have a large assortment of tea since it was mostly just a coffee shop and cafe, so it was unlikely she would ask for tea, but the option was still there.

I think she will go with fruitcake and black coffee.

"I would like a Syllabub.. and maybe a small cup of chamomile tea?" The woman pondered.

Ah.. I got it wrong.

[Y/N] smiled and nodded. She motioned for the lady to sit and she hurried off to get her order, moving swiftly around the back corner and dipping in and out of the kitchen. No other workers were in the shop, just her. Miss Smith was likely taking her evening nap upstairs. She was glad no one could hear her thundering snores through the floors. Only god knows how loud that woman can be when she is sleeping.