𝟒

Isaac was exhausted. He felt his bones ache with every step he took. Sweat was rolling down his forehead and into his eyes, making them sting. Derek had been pushing them to the extremes, teaching them how to fight and properly defend themselves against any threat they could go up against. Now that they had seen a hunter in action, they seemed more than willing to comply.

None of them managed to get the upper hand against their alpha, however, they always seemed to fall short. Erica was rash and didn't analyze her actions. Isaac was just distracted.

He finally saw her face in person. He finally saw those eyes that had been burning the back of his mind ever since she helped him at the station. He couldn't get her out of his head. While he was too busy to marvel at her completely while fighting Scott, he still managed to observe her as she took down his packmate. She did it with such ease. The way she moved was like a dance. Graceful. He'd been in awe.

Isaac knew it was stupid to get so wrapped up in a girl, especially when the said girl could potentially kill him, but he didn't care. For some reason unknown to him, he didn't give a shit.

"Does anyone want to try not being completely predictable?" Derek ground out annoyed. None of his beta's moves impressed him the slightest bit.

Erica took the chance to hop from her spot on the floor onto Derek. Her lips latched onto his, kissing him fiercely. It only lasted a few seconds before the alpha threw her off him and back onto the ground. Isaac grimaced.

Derek wiped his mouth. "That's the last time you do that."

"Why?" She scoffed. "Because I'm a beta?"

"No," Derek answered curtly. "Because I have someone else in mind for you."

Isaac groaned and tried to sit straight. "Are we done? I've got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal."

Derek feigned sympathy and kneeled in front of him. He took his hand and snapped his wrist, the sound of the bone-crunching reverberating across the room. "A hundred and one." Erica and Boyd flinched as Isaac yelped in pain. "You think I'm teaching you how to fight? I'm teaching you how to survive!"

Isaac gritted his teeth. "If they wanted us dead, why aren't they coming for us now?" He asked. "Or why didn't she kill us at the rink? She had every opportunity to do so. What are they waiting for?"

Derek looked at him, his eyes cold but curious. "I don't know. But they're planning something." He walked back toward Isaac. "And you, especially, know that's not our only problem." Derek faced all his betas. "Whatever that thing is, that killed Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night."

The betas looked at each other worriedly. Derek continued speaking. "Until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything I know. As fast as I can teach you."

———

Allison and Ophelia had sat down in the courtyard to do some schoolwork to help lighten their loads a bit. It seems as though something is always happening in the small town and they didn't want to risk their grades lowering. Stiles had arrived a few minutes prior and had recited a message from Scott word by word.

"I think you mean–"

"No." Ophelia cut her off. "He means bestiary."

Stiles blinked once at the huntress before turning back to Allison. "The two of you, I don't want to know what's going on in your heads!"

"Okay, um," Allison spoke again. "Can you describe this thing?'

"It's probably like a book," Stiles spoke hesitantly due to Ophelia's burning gaze on him. "Old. Worn."