SOMETIMES, THEY WIN

This is a Noah/Seb horror oneshot. It's an homage to Children of the Corn, but with a dash of Stardust and a skosh of Supernatural. Enjoy!

**

Noah stared in dismay at the endless queue snaking its way across the field, to a ticket booth manned by a single person; a platinum blonde dressed like Morticia Addams.

"This is a bloody fuck nightmare," Seb muttered.

"Except it's very real," Noah said. "We're never escaping."

Beside them, Gary sighed. "Oh, it's not that bad." But after watching the line barely move for what felt like an eternity, Gary swung around to face two lads behind them. "What the hell is this again, Bobs?"

"A haunted corn maze! They're all the rage in America."

Lucas, who stood off to the side, attempting to get a signal on his phone, snorted. "That's not the thrilling endorsement you think it is."

Bobby made a fart noise with his mouth. "You guys don't know about fun. This is gonna be great!"

"Only you would think that a haunted corn maze is an appropriate place for a blind date," Noah said, turning away from the depressing queue.

"A group blind date at that." Lucas said, holding his phone up in the air. "Who even does that?"

"Well I met that girl on Tinder," Bobby said. "She wouldn't go on a first date alone. Said she'd feel safer in a group. Anyway, nothing gets you cozier with a hen than a jump scare. Trust me. We'll be getting hugs all night."

Lucas grimaced. "On behalf of everyone here, I'm just going to say it. No one trusts you on this."

"Bobby, this is the worst place for you to take a date," Noah said. "Remember what happened the time you dropped your wallet in Asda, and that shopgirl tapped you on the shoulder?"

"She snuck up on me! She was stealthy. Anyway I wasn't even that scared."

"She was wearing heels. Loud ones. And you screamed like a baby that had his dummy taken."

Seb snickered and Noah felt a flush of pride for causing it.

"Every idea is a stupid idea, until it works!" Bobby threw his hands in the air. "Why do I do anything for you lot?"

Noah turned back to face the line and accidentally brushed his shoulder against Seb's leather-clad shoulder, and murmured an apology. Like always he could feel warm droplets of sweat at the base of his hairline anytime he was so close to the man. He glanced over and tried not to let his gaze linger too long. Seb stared off into the distance, his eyebrows drawn together over light brown eyes, full lips compressed in irritation with the whole stupid endevor.

How was a person so sexy when they were that annoyed?

Noah tried to think of something to say to Seb beyond friendly hellos and his own shite version of banter, but he never could. His brain was like a scrambled egg on too-high heat whenever the man was around. He could feel the flush of foolish stammering before he ever tried to truly engage him. Of everyone in their circle of friends, he hardly spoke to the one he was most desperate to talk to.

If Seb noticed this he'd never said anything, and Noah had long ago resigned himself to this... overwhelming one-sided attraction.

"Hey, they're here!" Bobby called out.

Everyone turned as a curvy redhead approached in scanty short shorts and checkerboard top with far too many buttons undone. She moved like a silver screen goddess and the boys, well the straight ones, went silent as she approached. Bobby opened and closed his mouth like a dying fish. Apparently the photos hadn't done her justice.