Prologue: The Magic-Born Memorial

Clayman was dead

Clayman was dead. And when Laplace delivered the news to the group assembled before him, the reaction was stunned silence.

"You're lying! There is no way that could happen!"

This was Footman frantically shouting now, but no one could find it in themselves to see things his way. Laplace was always so aloof, easy going, never one to express any of his true emotions. But his face said it all. This was not the joker all of them knew—he was literally hanging his head in shame before them. It was all they needed to see to know that Clayman was really and truly dead.

"...Last night, the night of that Walpurgis Council, I lost my connection with Clayman," Kazaream ponderously stated as Tear sobbed nearby. "My connection with someone I viewed as my own child. It could only mean one thing for him—death. I hardly wanted to admit it to myself. Even now, Laplace, after what you told us, I am filled with a stubborn refusal to admit it..."

"This was my mistake," a boy with black hair regretfully lamented. "I thought the demon lords were kid stuff. I needed to be more careful. Gather more intelligence and then take action."

There were ten demon lords in all, looking down upon the world from atop their lofty peaks. But even in such heady territory, each of them bore different strengths and weaknesses. Clayman's apparently successful application of Demon Dominate on the mind of the demon lord Milim caused him to forget that vital fact—and even worse, led him to believe he could rule over all his fellow lords. It was much too rash of him.

"If you're gonna put it that way," replied Laplace, lightening the mood with a joking tone, "I'm the one who suggested it to the guy. I never thought for a moment it'd turn out like this, no, not that it matters now. Plus, you have to admit it—Clayman was too stupid for his own good this time. I told him not to let his guard down, but he got carried away with it, and it blew up on him. All there is to it."

"Laplace!" snarled Footman. "You can't speak of him like that!"

"I'm only tellin' the truth. He was weak, he got carried away, and now he's dead."

"Laplace!!"

Letting his anger overcome him, Footman took a swing at Laplace. His fist dug into the cheek of its target; Laplace didn't bother to dodge it. But that was all. Laplace remained where he stood, his eyes swiveling toward his attacker.