Chapter 2: My other mom

Chapter 2:

7 pm when I heard my mom calling my name from downstairs, but I pretended not to hear anything because I was busy scrolling through my social media and chatting with my friends.

My room is located on the 2nd floor of our house. I can hear the sounds that are coming from downstairs whether it's television, radio, the front door, even when my mom is cooking in the kitchen. She called my name again and this time, it's louder than the first one. I knew that she was losing her patience with me but I still ignored her and continued to what I'm doing.

While I was busy getting entertained on social media, I heard my mom's footsteps going up the stairs. She was kind of stomping her feet on the stairs as she walks towards my room, indicating that she's upset. I stared at the door of my room waiting for her to open my door and show up. I was ready to hear her nagging once again as she burst into my room with her hand beside her waist.

I stared at her with unconcerned eyes.

"Are you deaf or you're just ignoring me on purpose?" She started.

I waited for her to finish her sentence before I get back to scrolling my social media. "What is it?" I asked without looking at her.

"You've been on your phone almost the whole day. You didn't even help me with house chores. How long are you planning lay there and do nothing?"

"Yea, yea. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it later."

She sighed as she continued her sentence. "You're hopeless. It's past 7pm and I haven't made dinner yet. Your father will arrive in a few hours. I've been busy with housework that I forgot to shop for tonight's dinner."

"Uhuh..." I rolled to my other side facing the wall, turning my back on her.

"Get up right now and cook the rice. I'll be going to the market."

"Okay, okay. Tsk. Just go, I will do it, so please stop nagging me."

"I won't nag if you actually listen to me. I'm in a hurry so I will leave you to it. I won't be long."

"Got it."

"Don't forget!"

"Geez! I won't!" I raised my voice slightly to express my annoyance. I hear her footsteps going down to first floor and hear the front door shut.

I got so immersed playing with my phone that I lost track of time. My brain went back to reality when I heard the chopping board being used in the kitchen.

"Sh*t! mom's back already?" I got up from my bed in a hurry. "I didn't notice the time. What time did she leave anyway?"

I wore my slippers, grabbed my charger and charged my phone.

"She's angry for sure." I mumbled nervously.

I ran down the stairs and went straight to the kitchen to grab the rice pot. She was standing near the sink and the stove. I stare at her back knowing that she will shout at me and ground me from using the internet If I push her to her limit. I slowly put the uncooked rice into the pot and stand beside her to wash the rice. After getting it ready, I moved to her side where the stove is and started to cook the rice. I didn't say a word after that, I just went to the living room beside the kitchen to open the TV.

I was about to grab the remote for the TV when I heard someone opening our front gate. "It must be dad." I thought to myself.

I went near the window to see my dad going inside the house. That's when I froze to where I was standing. I couldn't believe my eyes.

My mom was carrying some bags of groceries. Her hands and arms were full of it. Maybe other people would have looked back to see who was that person in the kitchen but I didn't. Because I could still hear the sound of the knife being used on the chopping board.

I flinched when I heard my mom knocked on the door.

"Open the door and help me carry the groceries."

I can still remember clearly. I didn't look away from where my real mom was when she noticed me staring at her from the window, and her face started making a scared look that I have never seen before.

From then on, I have never disobeyed my mom again...