Chapter 7

"Are you finally going to talk to me?" asked Tom as he closed the front door with a loud bang. Claire said nothing and turned away from him as she walked into the kitchen. "Did I do something wrong?" She shook her head silently and grabbed a glass from the wall cabinet. He stepped toward her and turned her to face him as he lifted her chin. She looked away from him to the floor. "What is it then? We can work everything out together, but you need to talk to me." Tom gently caressed her cheek and she took a deep breath as she mustered her courage for her next words.

"I don't want this with you anymore," she said emotionlessly, pushing him away from her. "I just want to get through this agreement without any distractions." She stepped away from him, but was pulled back against his chest by her wrist.

"You don't really want that, Claire," he said, searching her eyes for the answer.

"It's better this way," she explained without looking at him. "I can't risk your career over meaningless sex, and I don't want to." Tom pushed her backward until her back was against the countertop, pulling her against him.

"Is it really that meaningless?" he asked. He was so close to her that she could feel his breath on her skin and all she had to do was lean forward to kiss him. Claire had to force herself to look away from his lips and finally nodded.

"If that's what you want," he declared, his jaw tightening before he pulled away from her. Every fiber in her body wanted to take back her words and pull him back to her, but she couldn't, the consequences seemed too great. Tom walked out of the kitchen without a word; she exhaled in relief, knowing she couldn't resist him for another moment. Claire hoped that her decision had been the right one, for what would the attraction between them bring.

For the next two weeks, she avoided him as best she could, seeing him only fleetingly. Tom had a few dresses brought home for her from the local stores, as they would be attending an awards ceremony shortly. She decided on a simple black dress that had had a slit up the leg for the awards ceremony.

She tried not to think about him too much, but the closer the event got, the more nervous she became about meeting Tom again, even though they were actually living together. It would be impossible to play a newly in love couple if they didn't even talk to each other, so she decided it would be best to talk it out with him. Claire took a deep breath before entering the kitchen; he was sitting at the kitchen island reading the newspaper while drinking coffee. She felt nauseous when she smelled the smell, but tried to suppress it and focus on Tom.

"Can we talk?" she asked quietly. Tom looked at her confused as he closed his paper and nodded. "I'm sorry for the way I ended things between us."

"Why?" he asked, and Claire raised her eyebrows. "Why did you end it? He got up from his chair and walked to her.
"I heard your conversation with Luke," she said, looking down at the floor; he put his finger under her chin and lifted it up so she was looking at him.

"Silly girl, I don't care about his words or what he thinks of our relationship." He brushed a strand of hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead. "I want you, I don't care if I've only known you for a few weeks or if I've known you for a few years."

"Really." Tom leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips. She deepened their kiss and pulled him closer. He wrapped his arm around her and lifted her onto the kitchen island; he stood between her legs and pulled her shirt over her head before dropping it carelessly on the floor. Claire pulled his shirt over his head and dropped it behind her as well. He caressed the skin of her legs and his lips moved down to her neck. Suddenly the nausea from before overcame her and she pushed him off her as she hurried to the bathroom. She dropped to her knees in front of the toilet and threw up, Tom quickly following her and rubbing her back as he helped her up from the floor.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

"Yeah, it's just nervousness about today," she explained, trying to reassure him.

"Maybe it's better if you stay here today and rest and go to the doctor." Claire quickly shook her head. "No, I want to come with you." Tom sighed and pulled her into his arms as he rested his chin on top of her head.

"Fine, but you're going to at least get checked out by a doctor today, all right?" he asked her and she reluctantly nodded. She thought his concern was sweet, but it was just nervousness and the doctor would say the exact same thing.