A 1000-Word Love Story

"Love is one of the most unexpected yet happy feeling in this world and I'm glad I felt it." I said to the class. I'm having my speech today. A speech about love. This is our lesson for today.

I'm Jean Alexis Ravales. I'm a professor for college students. This is my story.

"I felt love years ago. And still, at this age, I am still feeling it. Not just a love from my parents, but also love from somebody else. Love from a guy named Sean Timothy Mendez." I said, looking at them.

"Sean is my first love. Sean will always be. Remember what people said about first love? First love never dies. I agree with that statement."

"When I was growing up, years back, I don't know anything about love, pain and life. I was new to the world. All I know is, to go with the flow. I felt it, I don't regret anything about it."

I was busy looking at everyone when I saw someone, someone who's very familiar to me. I smiled.

"I met Sean who was my knight in shining armour. My oh-so-thought prince charming. But I don't blame the world or anyone about my belief. Remember what I said? I was new to the world." I smiled at everyone. Hoping that they understood what I said.

"Sean, who was my knight in shining armour, was the guy who showed me the best of life. But I, who has no idea of the world, never knew that I was already falling. I was falling in love with him."

"Falling in love with him was not easy. It was never easy to fall in love. I never told him I love him. I don't know why. Is it because of the doubt of thinking that he doesn't feel the same way? Or the doubt that we can't be friends? Maybe both."

"That friendship we have, is the only thing I value. I don't know what I'm going to do without him. But a part of me says that I should confess to him. That I should tell him what I feel and maybe he feels the same way. But a part of me says that I shouldn't confess because what will happen to our friendship? I won't be able to talk to him anymore. I won't be able to be friends with him."

I took a deep breath and remember everything. The moments came flashing back in my head.

I looked at the crowd, I saw some of them have tears slowly pouring down from their eyes.

"But, I fought the fear. I told myself, if losing him was the way to tell him I love him, then I should be grateful. I should be grateful that once, that once he became someone special to me. That once, he became my friend. That once, he noticed me. That once, he knew me and we spent time together and made a lot of memories. I was indeed grateful."

I took another deep breath and wiped the tears that was forming in my eyes. It seems hard and flashing back all those memories brings back the feelings.

"I was about to tell him what I feel but then he told me something... He told me that... He told me that he loves someone. And that confession woke me up. That gave me the reason that I don't stand a chance. I don't stand a chance to that girl he loves. But, it never failed to make me lose hope. I still have hope. I hoped that he will still love me."

After I said those words, I smiled. I remembered what happened next.

"We had a ball that year. A farewell ball. And he told me that, he will tell me who is the girl he loves. I faked a smile and told him, I'm excited to meet that girl. But deep inside, I was falling apart."

I stood up straight and flashed another smile. Still flashing back those memories. I saw him smiling at me.

"When I was at home, I cried and I realized that I should I let him go, that he deserves to be happy. That I need to wake up from dreaming that there's a chance. There's a chance for us. And I have to tell him what I feel."