Chapter 2

The Hokage's office, as it turns out, was located on the top floor of the tower, we had been walking towards. It was to be frank a rather disappointing room, at least for what was apparently the ruler of a city full of warriors.
I expected something more... grand.
Something more alike to the richly decorated, tall ceilings of the imperial halls maybe.
Instead the room was almost boring, if not for the fact that a total of 5 other people - presumably more warriors - aside from the Hokage, two guards and myself were hidden around the room.
Well-trained, but not perfect...
As I determined their location, I turned towards the old man. "What is it you wanted to talk about more in depth, Sarutobi-san?"
"Straight to the point, I see." For some reason, he seemed amused about my way of addressing him. "I mainly wanted to talk a little more about what you will do, now that you are without your group."
I raised an inquisitive brow at that; there's no way it was that simple.
He seemed to sense my scepticism and sighed. "You are quite perceptive, a good trait for a shinobi." What did he just say? "I also wanted to ask, if you would like to stay and become a shinobi of Konoha."
Boom, there it is. But what in the world does he think he's doing, calling me a shinobi!?
It didn't actually matter though, what mattered was responding to the generous offer at hand.
"Sarutobi-san, I appreciate your offer and am honored to receive such as an outsider, but I must let you know," taking pause to make sure he was actually listening to what I was about to say, before I schooled my expression and continued, "I am not a shinobi, I was raised with the bushido since I was an infant and I plan to continue living according to it, until the day I die a good death and take my place in hell with my brothers and sisters in arms to suffer alongside them." I stared unblinkingly into his eyes as my words sank in.
Surprise, then a flash of something else - maybe awe? - briefly raced through his eyes, before he composed himself again.

POV Sarutobi Hiruzen
The boy in front of him was strange from the get go and the old Sarutobi could admit so easily.
At first it had just been his looks - his eyes in particular were so familiar he had felt a cold shiver running down his spine. Yet, black hair and pitch-black eyes were definitely not as uncommon a trait as one may be lead to believe by descriptions of the late Uchiha clan. But things kept piling up.
The outright panic at the prospect of having lost his sword could be explained away by it being an heirloom of some form. The confusion about his outstanding ability in regards to chakra sensing could be dispelled by the boy's past. Even his intense aura and attentive posture could be explained by much the same reason, but this speech just now?
Makkuro was hiding more than just his actual prowess. All the more reason to convince him to stay in the village. After all, it's not often, one gets the opportunity to welcome an actual, trained samurai into their ranks.
Yes, swordsmen were a not quite so common class of specialized fighters amongst shinobi and some were even legendary warriors, but a real samurai? Nowadays as rare as Jinchuriki. Even if you found one, most often they couldn't even hope to hold a candle to the fabled warriors of past.
And yet, before the old Hokage stood the proof that somewhere, somehow at least one was still alive and passing on their knowledge.
He didn't even need to consider the boy's words as he finally gave his answer.
"Makkuro, there is no need for such a grim expression. As long as your bushido does not interfere with missions or duties as one of Konoha's people, I don't see why there should be an issue - should you choose to join our shinobi forces." "And if I do?" He tilted his head inquisitively.
"Then you would have to go to the academy to make sure you know everything necessary to continue on this path." At Makkuro's conceiled, but nonetheless incredulous look Hiruzen continued:"It would usually take a few months to fully determine summoned capabilities, but with your skills and talent, it should only take you about a week."
"Ah", the boy nodded in understanding. He seemed to contemplate something else, before speaking up again.
"So as I see it, you get my loyalty and prowess on the battlefield and in return I get a safe place to live and your support and protection, should I need it?" When the old Sarutobi gave a nod of agreement, he went on:"That sounds like a reasonable trade...", a small grin snuck it's way onto his face.
"I think I'll take it."
With that he held out his hand for the Hokage to shake and as both finalized the deal with this handshake, Hiruzen couldn't have guessed just how much change this simple decision would bring into the lives of some of the most important people in the shinobi world...

___________________

Sorry for the short chapter, but this was just the best way to end it, everything else would've felt tacked on.