Feather and Stone

A sweeping breeze came through the tops of the Evindal trees, pulling out leaves as it chilled the surrounding air. The brown crinkled leaves fell to the forest floor that was just beginning the long slumber of winter. The sea of green had turned to an army of brown and gray, all except for Silborh's hedge that surrounded Ginnen.
Balneir wrapped his coat tighter around his chest before bending down onto his knees to continue his work. He was carving into a perfectly cut stone slab that stretched several feet across, just enough for multiple men to stand upon it in a circle. That was his intent, to work with the Othorian rune through ritual just as before. This time, it would be different, for he had a new power that strengthened his connection to Othoria and the gods. His work was meticulous, Balneir carved using water against the stone. He had been collecting buckets of rain water for weeks, using the change of seasons to his advantage. He used his new skills, given to him by Silborh, to weave with the water itself.
Balneir placed his hand on the surface of the water in the bucket beside him. With his eyes closed, he drew the Othorian rune for water in his mind's eye and whispered its name to himself. Hadün. In his first attempts, it took several drawings and tries saying it's name before he felt the connection between his energy and the water. Now, it takes only once and merely a thought of the symbol. He weaved the water into a sphere shape and forced the water to spin violently. Balneir pulled his hand from the surface of the water. In the palm of his hand, the orb of water spun vigorously in place. Then, Balneir pushed the sphere into the stone, just enough to continue carving his line.
He continued carving the stone until his lines finally met. Balneir knew that he was successful when the Othorian rune glowed with a soft, white light and hummed quietly. He stood up from the stone slab, his back aching from being bent for so long, and looked around at his work. Balneir had restored The Hall that housed the rune, just as before but, this time Balneir added standing stones. He placed the stones in a circle around the stone slab that he stood on. This would help calm the energies that came from the rune. Balneir let the water fall back into the bucket and brushed off the dust from his pants. He felt the energy in the room shift suddenly, like the wind brushed over his spine. He glanced around the room, until his eyes caught glimpses of Silborh's rune in the doorway of The Hall.

Seconds later, Silborh took a step through the doorway. His white eyes surveyed the room before he continued into The Hall. Silborh stopped beside one of the standing stones that stood taller than him, and placed his hand on its cold surface. He took a long breath in through his nose.
"You have strengthened the connection," he stated, squinting at the stone. Balneir stepped down from the stone slab.

"So, I was successful," Balneir said, almost to himself.

"You have progressed far for such little time," Silborh replied, his white eyes falling on Balneir.

"I was told to learn."

Silborh stroked his charcoal beard before making his way to the slab of stone Balneir had made. His dark colored robes scraped the dried leaves against the wooden floor as he went. The god stood beside Balneir and examined his carving work. The white glow from the rune made Silborh's eyes reflective and Balneir couldn't bear to look at them for too long.

"Sa thedia," Silborh whispered.

"The end and the beginning. Until the end comes," Balneir recited. Silborh met Balneir's eye, "The way is shut."
Balneir shifted his weight and frowned at the god. "How, why?" he asked.

"Tha hithan inadan aun thedi," Silborh replied. Balneir's mind showed him runes as the god spoke in wind, the language of the gods.

"Aya?" Balneir asked.

"It was decided amongst my brothers and sisters," Silborh stated. He bent down and stroked the glowing rune. Balneir said nothing, only frowned as he watched the runes inside his vision hover around the god. Silborh took notice of his frowning, "The path to the Chamber still remains." He stood straight again, "No one may follow in your footsteps to my domain nor the others'." Silborh looked around at the stone circle.
"You have done well here," he told Balneir. Then, the god stepped onto the slab of stone, the glowing light casting shadows under his eyes.