un

early 1780

eliza

-

i sat in the parlor, staring out into the window, counting the minutes, begging to leave.

i loved my aunt and uncle Cochran, don't get me wrong, but all the excitement in the atmosphere is drained by the constant discussion of war.

my aunt and my uncle were hosting a get together, for general washington, and a few partners of his.

i truly had no care for them.

i wish i had some type of independence. my eldest sister, angelica, who is only a year older is treated like a full grown adult, while i am still treated as a young girl.

angelica is deemed as more mature, because she has her own life. she's married, and has her own life to start.

until i can figure out my own, i'll stick with my family.

"betsey." i heard a voice behind me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

i turned to see angelica, with a sympathetic look in her face. she sat next to me, and looked out the window with me.

"you seem...bored."

"i am." i replied snarkily. "it seems 'true adults' only are able to speak about politics and war. i have no interest in that." i admitted, her nodding in agreement.

"i completely understand." she started. "i hate the constant chit chat about politics as well, but we can't do much about it. you and i, and peggy were all born into a political family."

i nodded, knowing she was right. sometimes, i wish i was more like her.

she was a poised, wise and independent woman, and i was still trying to figure out where my life goes from here.

she seems to have it all together, and i wish i could as well.

she rubbed my back supportively, but continued to talk.

"there's some men papa would like us to meet." she admitted. "i told him i'd get you."

i sighed, but got up, knowing i didn't have much choice.

we walked back into the dining room, and it seems as if we were interrupting a ongoing conversation.

"no!" general washington protested. "if they get sent out i'll-"

"excuse me?" my mother interrupted politely. "very sorry to stop you sir, but these are my three daughters you must meet."

"this is angelica, elizabeth, and margarita." she said introducing us to the men around the table.

"very nice to meet you." general washington replied.

i think general had continued to speak, but i wasn't paying much attention. there was one man, sitting at the very end of the table.

he was a ginger, and had eyes so captivating-ly blue, they seemed purple.

whatever general washington and my mother were talking about, he seemed very interested.

"..don't you betsey?" i heard my mother call, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"excuse me?" i ask confused.

"you play piano, why don't you play a bit?" my mother suggested.

"..my pleasure." i hesitated.

i walked back over to piano, and began to play the only piece of sheet music available.

everyone in the kitchen had dissolved back into their intense debate, while my light-hearted piano music played in the background.

i stayed focus on my song, not-

"you know.." i heard a voice behind me start, causing me to jump.

i looked up to see the blue eyed ginger, looking down at me playing.

"didn't mean to startle you." he apologized.

"no worries." i replied.

"but, a way to keep a nice tempo, is to keep your finger bent, like this." he began to play the song i just was, with his fingers bent.

"fascinating." i replied. "i didn't know you played piano."

"your father has taught me a bit in the small amount of time we've known each other." he added. "and i couldn't help but admire you play. you truly are gifted."

"thank you..." i trailed off, trying to see if i had any recollection of his name.

"hamilton. alexander hamilton." he introduced himself, laying out his hand to take mine. i placed my hand in his palm, and he kissed it lightly.

"well colonel hamilton, i am elizabeth schuyler." i introduced myself in return.

"no need to be formal. please, just call me alexander."

"then you may call me what you desire." i allowed.

"..eliza." he decided.

"eliza it is." i agreed.

i have to admit, alexander was astonishingly charming. very quick, and sly personality, and truly seems to be a very kind person.

and he was quite good looking as well.

"eliza, while i've enjoyed our time together, i must go back to the table." he admitted. "i hope to see you again." he added.

"me as well." i said farewell for now, and he returned to his business at the dining table.

angelica walked over from the corner, must've having seen our entire interaction.

"i see you've made a friend." she joked. "who was he?" she asked.

"colonel hamilton."

hamilton.

a name i won't be forgetting for a long time.