trois

april 1780.

a month had passed, and neither alexander or myself had received word from my parents.

i usually got shot down anytime i'd bring it up, which is why i took matters into my own hands.

i requested for alexander to stay in town a bit longer, so i scheduled a dinner between the 2 of us and my parents.

i'd never been one to shy away from what i want, and i wasn't going to become one now.

i sat in front of my mirror, fixing myself up for the night with alexander and my parents.

i felt a pair of hands wrap around my waist, and a head laid onto my shoulder.

"hi" i giggled.

"how are you feeling?" he asked.

"anxious." i admitted. "i want things to work out." i sighed.

"and it will." he said cupping my face in his hands. "we'll do whatever it takes."

i nodded, and he pulled me in for a gentle kiss.

it seems crazy to think it had only been a few months that we'd known each other, and we plan to get married by the end of the year.

i dusted off my skirt with my hands, and took alexander's hand in mine, and we made our way down the stairs.

we saw both my mother and father sitting at the dining table, speaking about something, although both their heads turning when they saw us.

we walked over to the table, and alex greeted both my parents while i sat down.

"missus schuyler." he greeted,  reaching his hand out. my mother laid her hand in his palm, and kissed it lightly.

"sir." he greeted my father, quite stiffly.

i still found it funny how alexander would change for my father. he'd become more proper, and i almost cracked a laugh.

alex sat next to me, and i broke the ice.

"you recieved a letter from alexander a month ago.." i started, "asking for your blessing towards our marriage."

neither of my parents responded, and i physically felt alex tense up. the room fell into an uncomfortable silence.

"..is there an issue?" alexander spoke up.

my mother inhaled deeply, and turned to my father.

"betsey.." my father started. "i'm over-joyed for you two. i think alexander is a fine young gentlemen."

alexander smiled shyly, before he continued.

"but you two have only known each other for..what has it been-2 months?" my father asked.

"and you two are so young! you have plenty of time to grow."

i looked away uncomfortably, alexander as well, staring at the table.

"betsey, we just want the best for you." my mother added.

"mother, i'm not little anymore." i started, shocked at my own words. i never really stood up for myself, especially towards my parents. "i understand, but.. im twenty-three. and angelica, got married 3 years ago!-"

"this isn't about angelica." my father cut me off.

i slumped back into my seat, and alexander spoke for me.

"i love your daughter. very, very much. she's the only piece of family, or the closest thing to family i have. i understand your concerns, but please." alexander begged for us.

my mother looked to my father, then turned back to us.

"you're right betsey. if this is what you two want, you have my blessing. hamilton seems like an amazing young man."

"thank you." i mouthed. i turned to look at my father, who eyed the three of us.

"i admire your love for each other. and betsey, you aren't little anymore. i trust sir hamilton will treat you right, therefore, you have my blessing."

alexander sighed with relief, and i got up to hug my parents. 

"thank you." i whispered into my father's ear.

--

alexander and i were on a stroll, talking about whatever came to mind.

"would you still like to live in albany? after?" alex asked.

i thought for a moment. "a little further south, maybe. perhaps..harlem?"

"we should visit then. to get a better feel for the city."

"whenever works for you." i added.

we fell into a silence, as we walked past empty streets, and tall, dim streetlights.

"i'm sorry this evening went the way it did." i apologized. he looked up at me, confusion written all over his face.

"and by that you mean?"

"the uncertainty from my parents." i clarified. "i know they admire you, i just don't know why it came out the way it did."

"i understand." he started. "you're their daughter. they just want the best for you."

i smiled, at his understanding

----

heres a long overdue update after being mia for like 3 months nienueiudeubw