VII

JUNE, 1983

SEPTIMUS FOUND THAT the Trial of Lucius Malfoy was filled with a bunch of bullshit and contemplated the life choices that led up to this point in his life. He was outside, wearing socks and sandals, about to burn the papers that had been clogging his brain for the past seven months. His boyfriend, Alexander, had warned him that he would most definitely get fired for this, but screw Alexander and his beautiful face! Septimus made his own decisions! He may have been slightly high, but he could still make rational decisions! Right?

Septimus assessed the situation. This probably wasn't logical, now that he looked at it. He picked up the papers behind him and made his way back into his flat. Though when he stepped forward, he tripped a pot and his papers flew straight into the fire.

"Well, shit."

Apple dressed for the hot day in her best weather accommodating detective outfit. It consisted of long, plaid shorts, a sleeveless button up, her glasses, and a peaky hat. She threw a satchel over her shoulder with her wand in it and headed out the door to the café where she was to meet Remus.

She shipped open the door to the uncharacteristically chilly café and instantly spotted Remus. He sat, his brown tussled hair sweeping his forehead and his sleeves rolled up, at the window seat with two steaming mugs in front of him.  As she scooted the chair back, Remus looked up at her and smiled.

"Good morning," he cheered, his voice slightly groggy from the early hour. There was only a handful of people in the small shop, drinking their drinks slowly. Apple loved the atmosphere she had grown used to in the past months.

"Mornin', so what's our plan?" she said, getting straight into it. She took a sip of her coffee, although the extra caffeine wasn't necessary. This was the part of her job that she loved most: the rare possibility of an actual investigation, an undercover investigation. Very stealthy, very mysterious.

"I was thinking that we just go to the shop, see if he's in there, and if he is, transform him back," Remus said simply. Apple slouched her shoulders. "Doesn't sound very stealthy, does it?"

"No, it does not. Say he is there, would we transform him in front of everybody to, you know, get the word out, or would we do it in private and get him to confess everything in front of the Ministry?"

"I'm thinking that we do it in private so we can extract some information," he said, eyebrows raised. He was enjoying this too.

"Well then, when is this happening?"

"Right now, let's go."

Diagon Alley was a place Apple hadn't been in ages. She supposed the last time she was there was before her seventh year. She had never had the need to return there. The years away from it made it seem even more magical, especially after being surrounded with millions of muggles every day.

The cobblestone street was taking abuse from the hundred of feet strolling across it. Children ran around, holding lollies or chocolates. Even in the hot weather people wore thick robes and hats.

Apple looked around at all of the shops she used to be so familiar with. Remus smiled down at her, her eyes full of wonder and nostalgia. Apple caught his eye and smiled back, taking his hand and steering him through the large crowd. His hand was sweaty and hot, but Apple didn't seem to care at all.

It felt as if her ears had a heartbeat as Apple and Remus got closer and closer to the store. The brick façade of the building has a welcoming aura, unaware that it could be harboring a mass murderer in the form of a rat. The more Apple thought of it, the more she thought she was going crazy.

The shop was full of children poking their fingers in cages and running away from parents. Birds flew freely around the shop, other small creatures confined to decently sized cages. Apple never let go of Remus' hands as they strolled through the shop, trying not to seem suspicious in case Peter was watching them. It was weird to think about, Peter watching them, even him just being alive.

As they walked to the rodent section, Apple could feel her stomach tying itself into knots. This was it. If they couldn't find him here, there was a low chance they would find him anywhere else.

Apple took her hand out of Remus' hold reluctantly so she could bend down and look closely at each rat. Remus started on the other end, suddenly aware of how bizarre they must look - staring at rats for minutes.

Apple's eyes examined each rat closely and carefully. Missing an eye, not a finger....Missing an ear, not a finger...Missing nothing....Red eyes, not brown...White, not brown.....Missing a finger....MISSING A FINGER!

Apple felt her heart stop as she stared intensely at the small rat hiding in the corner of its cage. Its paws were tucked under his body quickly, but not quick enough.

"Re-Remus, Remus!" Apple said laughing oddly. Her hands went to her head as she smiled at the tall man in front of her. "It's him, Rem," she whispered. Remus' eyes went wide as he waved the cashier over. The woman took Peter out of the cage and as soon as she did, he hopped out of her hands, darting for the door. "No!"

Apple pushed and shoved people out of the way as she ran after Peter, Remus behind her, struggling to get his wand out. Peter was at least three feet in front of her as she ran as fast as she could. The rat turned the corner into a small alley, effectively trapping himself.

"It's over for you, you son of a bitch," Apple spat harshly. Anger had built up in her after everything Peter had done to his friends, to Remus. "Petrificus Totalus!"

"So I guess we don't have to pay for him, then," Remus said, out of breath.

NOTES.

very short but eventful chapter. get ready for things to get even more eventful. also i've been leaving out septimus so i gave him a little blurb at the beginning!