7

Going to work the day after you nearly get a potential intern killed is not only difficult, but extremely awkward. It's like when you break a bone and have to walk around with a cast; everything feels wrong and everyone around you feels the need to point it out. It's impossible to deal with.

It's also not a very common thing, so most people likely wouldn't understand.

I just had to play it off as if everything was normal. I was cleaned up and most everyone was accustomed to seeing colleagues looking sleep deprived, so I skated by there. Except, what I didn't anticipate, was Zoya's attack being the talk of the office. Everyone there had their whole attention on it. As I walked in, Miles the sports columnist stopped me.

"Did you hear?" He asked eagerly.

My brain flew into panic mode. I decided to play dumb. "Hear what?"

"Zoya, that intern from a while back, got attacked last night," Miles said, sipping his coffee excitedly as if Zoya's attack was the best thing he'd heard in years. "Heard she was trying to interview the White Knight. Who knows what happened after."

Miles's smile was off putting. I flashed him a fake smile, one that looked closer to a grimace, and shrugged. "Yeah, I heard. I let her do the story. I was supposed to do it; but it was the same article I wrote months ago."

"Wow.... That's tough." Miles nodded, smile staying locked on his face. "That must suck for you. And be good at the same time, ya know?" He flapped his hands around as he spoke. "That could have been you instead of her out there. I'm glad it's not! I bet you must be so relieved."

"Yeah... I mostly just feel bad." I said awkwardly. "But... I really gotta go, you know. Stuff to do."

I fled as quickly as I could. Miles waved me off. "Not your fault she almost died!"

By the time I reached my desk, my ears were bright pink and I was flushed. I set my stuff down with shaky hands, trying to collect my thoughts. I could feel my mind slip as I tried to ground myself at my desk, slowly failing.

—————————

"Clear the table!"

My suit was soaked in blood, making it more red then white. My team scrambled to pull items off of it, eventually resorting to dumping the table onto the floor. The moment it was clear, I set my precious cargo down on the table.

Bernice seemed to have gained energy since getting stabbed. Blood flowing everywhere and adrenaline surging through here veins, she struggled on the table. She nearly slipped off one side nearly as she wiggled, letting out tiny sounds of despair as she wiggled. Lily was at her side in an instant, soothing her as if it would help.

"We're going to have to hold her down, aren't we?" Darwin's quiet voice asked from behind me.

"She doesn't need to be held down. She needs a doctor!" Theodore reasoned.

I sighed, searching through the cabinets for the med kit. "We can not take her to the hospital. It isn't safe right now. I'm going to buy her time."

"Buy her time?" Theodore sounded shocked.

"Look, I just need you to hold her down until I can take care of her. Just a few seconds, thats all." Ayo and Sydney, the trusty team stoics, were on it. The others lingered for a second before steeling their nerves and getting into place. I dug through the med kit, not finding what I needed.

"No. No. No. No."

Lily moved to my side. "That's not a good sign."

"We've only got local anesthetic." Lily caught my eye. "I can take care of that. Can you do the stitches?"