three.

[queen of the court]

~

"You had detention with Emmett Cullen?!" The cat was out of the bag. Or at least it would be if Katherine had been trying to keep her detention a secret. She wasn't, for the record, but Jessica didn't really care at that moment.

"It's not a big deal," Katherine responded absentmindedly as she walked between Angela and Jessica down the hall. Her focus was on her phone where she was texting back and forth with her dad about restarting her shifts at the family diner.

The three had just left their last period and were headed for the gym. Both Katherine and Jessica had their gym bags in hand as they walked. Angela herself wasn't on the team, preferring photography over sports in general, instead carried a small case of water that they'd grabbed from the captain's car.

"Not a big deal?" Jessica gaped, almost offended by the blondes lackadaisical reaction to the Cullens. "Did you not hear me yesterday when I said they don't talk to anyone who isn't family? Last time I checked you're not a Cullen."

"I still think they're just shy," Angela chimed in as the three entered the gym.

Katherine couldn't help but snort at the idea of Emmett  Cullen being shy, not with how loud his laugh was or how blatantly he'd been flirting with her yesterday. "Trust me, Emmett's not shy."

Jessica opened her mouth to say something but was never given the chance as the devil himself stepped away from the wall he'd been leaning on and made himself known. "Not in the slightest."

It was then that Jessica Stanley short-circuited. Her jaw fell open, eyes wide as she stared at the Cullen boy in shock. One of the Cullen's had just indirectly spoken to her. She couldn't believe it.

"We'll just be over there," Angela nodded toward the bleachers, guiding their awestruck friend away with a smile.

Emmett and Katherine watched the two go in amusement.

"I think you broke her," The blonde girl snickered.

"Oops?" He responded with a small grin that only widened when Katherine laughed, shaking her head halfheartedly at him.

It was silent between them for a moment as Emmett simply watched her, observing her as though he were trying to memorise everything about her.

"So what are you doing here?" Katherine asked, snapping him from his thoughts unaware of the looks the pair were receiving from just about everyone else in the gymnasium.