THIRTY-NINE

A week later and Ryan and I were back to being awkward which was infuriating me. He's been doing a lot of celebrating, which I'm not mad about but I mean he hasn't been around. I was starting to think he really didn't care about me. He had his first meeting with his parole officer. He didn't have to take any drug tests but that wouldn't matter since he drinks but doesn't do drugs.

My mother practically disowned me because in her words "How can you love him he's a criminal?"

My response was to send her the song going "Mama I'm in love with a criminal. This kind of love isn't rational." She didn't like it very well and my father has come over for dinner with Ryan and I. He seems to be warming up to him but I'm not holding out any hope. I can't hold out any hope because I don't want to be disappointed with the outcome.

Reporters continue to show up at my place, his, my parents and my job. It's getting to the point of harassment. I also don't see them leaving us be for the next week or two either. I almost considered calling out of work until this died down but the money was needed so much more than anything else.

"What are you thinking about?" Ryan asked me. We've been more public since I kissed him on live television. He was holding my hand rubbing his thumb in circles.

"Everything and how I wished the damn news would leave me alone. I really hate my fathers job." I groan.

It was difficult because there were some people who told me I needed mental help for being in love with my kidnapper. Most of the time Ryan had to pull me away from them or I had to physically move myself. If it didn't happen I would publicly assault someone.

Meghan has been at a few parties. She must have sold out all her families criminal activities and who did what in order to get off scotch free.

"You're thinking about Meghan again." Ryan rubs his thumb across the space between my eyebrows where they furrowed with anger. The wrinkles she has caused are way more prominent. I'd like to think that rather than how easily read my face is.

"I wanna catch her doing something illegal. I'm still so mad she did that to you and Uncle Chris." I threw my hands down and balled them up.

"You're cute when you're mad. You look like a two-year old throwing a fit." He laughs at me. The smile on his face replaced my anger with sunshine and rainbows.

I look at him in a defeated mood and laughed. It's weird. Things have been calm with Ryan and whereas I like it I want to know where we're going to end up. I haven't even told him I love him yet.

"Hey Athea?" Ryan asks getting my attention.

"Hmm?"

"Let's leave Meghan alone." He had a mysterious glint in his eyes which made me wonder what he had up his sleeve.

"You did something already didn't you?" I asked squinting my eyes shut to make an accusatory glare. I knew he already did something. There was no way he hasn't considering she stabbed him in his back after taking her in.

"Let's just say since her whole family has been arrested she has no access to the finances so she has to work to pay for anything. She also has to buy herself a new car." He smiled at me.

"Oooh. The princess has fallen then?" I asked. I really wanted to smash her face in but I guess her money issues being taken away would have to do for now.

"Yupp." Ryan looks at me making me stop by holding my arms in his hands. "You may belong in this family illegally wise more than you belonging by me choosing you."

"Oh I know. You have to remember that my father is a judge. I know how to get away with crimes." I wink at him and smile.

"Did I ever tell you that you're amazing?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah a few times."

"Well, what about, I love you?" Ryan asked. Except when he asked he made it sound as a statement rather than a question.

My face reddens and I duck my head down to look at the ground. He told me he loved me. After everything he finally told me he loves me. My heart was racing and I felt giddy enough it was like I was flying. I felt his hand grab one of mine and he started pulling me in the direction of my apartment.

"Ryan?" I started asking shyly. "Where do you see us going?" It felt like it was a stupid question.

"I don't see you going anywhere and even if you did you'd still find your way back to me. The same goes for me to you."

"Why are you so certain?"

"Because... you were the first outsider who actually understood me. I mean it was under some pretty fucked up situations but you understood I would have figured out another way to get the bail had it not been so high. I really wasn't expecting to run into you and enjoy speaking with you before I realized who you were. Also, the physical attraction was quite hard to ignore when I actually kidnapped you. It was so much more frustrating due to the fact that I didn't want to treat you like a prisoner."

"So..." I start slowly. "You're saying that even though you were attracted to me your family meant more and you were stuck between a rock and a hard place. And every negative feeling you felt was instantly taken out on me even when I didn't deserve it?"

"Yes." I watched as he rolled his eyes and felt him tussle my hair. That was his way of calling me a smart ass.

I look up at him and felt like there were stars in my eyes. He looks at me and slowly decreases the distance between us. He tilts my chin up and sideways so my head is tilted when his phone goes off. I sigh as I feel the tension disappear and his delicious smirk with a playful slow roll of his eyes.

He walks into the room and I busy myself with the television. My stomach dropped and I felt the vibes' in my apartment shift drastically. He walks into the kitchen where I meet him halfway. His hands grab my face before I can speak and he drowns me in mind-numbing kisses. It was like he couldn't get enough of me.

He puts his hands on the underside of my thighs and I jump up wrapping my legs around his waist. He lays me down on my bed a minute later and litters my body with the touch of his mouth. I felt his hands trail underneath my shirt and up my stomach. He covers my eyes with the hem of my shirt and trails kisses from my collar bone down to the top of my jeans.

It was blur. By the time we finished my brain finally caught up to what happened. I wasn't a virgin for sure but I felt like it with him. He was kissing my neck and cheek as a way to tell me he loves me. It was nice to have heard the words first before the sex.

"Is everything okay?" I asked trailing my hand on his chest.

"Hmm?"

"With the phone call?"

"Yeah. I probably need to go." He said quickly and got out of my bed and got dressed. I watched him as he pulled everything back on slowly. It was as if he didn't want to go. "I'll call you later okay?" He says as he pulls my face to his and I devour his kisses again.

"Okay." I throw my robe around me and walk him to the front door. Once he gets out of the doorframe I see Mackenzie standing there with her fist raised like she was about to knock. Ryan pauses at the bottom of the steps and walks back up and inside with Mackenzie and myself.

"Can I have a minute with her?" He asks Mackenzie who only nods. He waits until after she leaves and grabs me, pushing me against the door. "Athea, you know I love you right?"

"Of course Ryan. I know you do."

"I want you to know I love you so so so much. More than I ever thought was possible. So much so that I'm giving you this ring. It's a family heirloom. I want you to wear this at all times. Literally, never take this off outside of this apartment."

"Is everything okay?" I was a little worried because Mackenzie likes him but for her to come and eavesdrop on this conversation means that she felt something was off.

"It will be. I'll call you later." He kisses me again and waits until I step away from the door to leave. I shut and lock the door behind me.