Chapter 8

"YOU GOT DETENTION?" I winced when Leia screamed at me, shaking me violently back and forth. I felt like I was getting a whiplash from how much the world was moving from being shaken.

"Uh... Leia? Ease up on the shaking, would you?" I groaned, trying to push the girl back. Huffing she did as I asked, crossing her arms over her chest as she waited for me to answer. Sloan and Mila were also giving me curious looks, though Mila looked more relieved since I didn't get kicked out of the school. "Look, Jennifer Massey, that's the girls name right?" I turned to look at Mila who nodded her head mutely, "she was talking bad about Tenley and there was no way I was just going to let her run her mouth!" Even thinking about it now made me pissed, but I tried to control my temper.

Everyone turned silent at that answer. We all missed Tenley, and they knew how bad I was taking this. "Okay, I forgive you for getting detention..." Leia reached over to squeeze my arm.

"Good job decking Massey though!" Sloan slapped my back, making me wince at the force. For a small girl she was strong. "You don't know how many times I've wanted to punch pretty miss cheerleader in the nose for being a douche!" She looked at me in awe, as if I was the best person in the world for decking Jennifer Massey.

"Sloan..." Mila rolled her eyes at her sister, though she gave her an amused smile. "Lets go get some food, I'm starving!" I gave Mila a grateful look for changing the subject. I had a feeling if she didn't the entire lunch would be about me getting detention and punching Jennifer in the nose.

Though I wish I would have did more damage than what I did.

Today they were serving mystery meat, which we had determined was sloppy joes. We were all pretty starving by the time we finally made our way towards the front of the line and managed to grab the mystery meat, along with mashed potatoes and mixed greens.

"You'd think in this school there'd be better... meat options..." I trailed off, looking at the pile of goo on my plate. It smelled like sloppy joes, don't get me wrong, but it looked gross on the plate.

Sloan laughed at my plight, "they normally do. Today must be leftover day..." She trailed off with a frown. "Actually what am I saying? The food here sucks!" She groaned as we made our way towards our normal table.

"I miss my moms cooking..." Leia sighed dreamily as she opened the plastic silverware set. "My mom is such a great chef, she could work at a restaurant if she wanted to..." she trailed off wistfully, forking a big bite full of mashed potatoes and shoving it into her mouth.

"I'm pretty sure if I came back home my mother would poison my food..." I chuckled, finding the joke funny. My group of friends gave me weirded out looks, not understanding the joke. I cleared my throat. "Uh... never mind... forget you heard that..." I waved in dismissal, not really wanting to talk about my strange relationship with my mother. If you could even call it one...

"Sure Jen..." Mila trailed off with a frown before turning towards her sister. "So have you and Leia figured out what cult your doing your project on? Jenna and I picked out Heaven's Gate," she grimaced at the reminder of the cult, which had me making a face too. That was not a fun thing to learn about.

"We're doing Jonestown!" Sloan piped up, "seems like the cult with the most information, so it'll be easier for Leia and I to write," she added with a lazy smile. Mila rolled her eyes at her sister, shaking her head as if she was disappointed. The only reason why we didn't do Jonestown was because we knew that one would get picked the most. Turns out we were right.

"Heaven's Gate was kind of interesting though," Leia added as an afterthought, playing with the mystery meat. "Not in the sense I would want to be there!" She quickly affirmed, grimacing at the thought.