𝘰𝘯𝘦

"I was taught not to follow strangers."

•*•

•*•

TWO YEARS LATER
1922

To think of sunny days in Small Heath was always a faraway dream.

It seemed too far fetched to be wearing summer dresses or short sleeved shirts while the blazing pastel red star rained hell of sweat down everyone's back. Instead, the sky was shielded by white sheets of clouds. The smell of nature bouncing off the pavement giving people the impression it was going to rain soon.

Two figures stood side by side staring down at a wooden casket. A body dressed in all black bent down to place a bouquet of white roses on the surface. Standing back to their full height, their gloved hands wrapped around an arm in comfort. The curly-haired beauty adorned a black skirt matched with a black blouse and blazer. Her signature red lips had now matched with her ruby red nails while her once waist length hair now hung down her upper back, her infamous veiled fascinator sat upon her head. Shielding her eyes from the world were a pair of sunglasses though no sun had come out to play. With her look came an energy that no one could compare.

"Freddie was a fighter. His death will not go down in vain," Leticia Morelli voiced aloud while keeping her stare on the closed casket holding the body of Ada's husband. Letting out a breath, a cloud of white from the cold air came then vanished as she whispered, "I'm sorry, Ada. Your love was one of a kind."

The short haired Shelby woman gave a close-mouthed smile but her eyes held deep sorrow as she held her son, Karl, in her arms. Feeling a squeeze on her arm, she turned to look at Lettie with grateful features, "I'm glad you're here, L. I appreciate you coming back, I know you are busy in America, but I miss you," shifting her son in her arms, Ada pat his back to get him back to sleep, "We all do."

Clearing her throat, Lettie nonchalantly asked while sneaking a quick glance to the second younger Shelby, "How is everyone?"

How is he? She really wanted to ask but refrained from even bringing that question into reality. Ada could see she was holding back, but she was too stubborn for her own good.

"They're dealing. John and Esme have another runt to add to the bunch," Leticia smiled remembering the letter she had received in the mail from the two. She had missed quite a bit since her leave.

The chirping of birds flew past them into awaiting trees as a small silence took over until Ada questioned, "How long are you staying?"

Lettie's gloved hands wrapped around the handle of the umbrella she was carrying as she held it over them both, "Not quite sure. The business I have to take care of here in Small Heath might take days, weeks? It's uncertain at the moment."