Unseen

Story Title: Unseen

Written: date published, Word count: 220

Yugi Mutou professed he did not know as much about women as he'd like.

But he'd learned a fair bit about dance from watching Anzu rehearse during their homework sessions.

And Mai Kujaku's moves, were just a bit off. The barbs just a bit to smooth and the punctuated attacks unnecessarily sharp. In fact, in all the time he'd watched duelists, he rarely found it this difficult to gauge a duelists nature. But he could not see who Mai Kujaku was.

Sure, the expensive clothing and accessories spoke of her material value, which she did boast of plenty, but that was not all Mai seemed or anyone truly was. That is what she thought or wished to appear. Yugi had learned that lesson from Jounouchi, Honda and other bullies who were not quite as ruthless as they cared to lead on.

And as her perfume trickery unraveled, he realized with unusual sadness, that Mai Kujaku did not want to be seen, even by herself.

And Jou did not waste time in pointing out as much. He had softened considerably with Yugi's presence and he knew they were both grateful for it. A friendship to withstand the times.

And as they all witnessed Mai win her first duel, sans deceit, they knew that Kujaku Mai no longer wanted to remain unseen.